How to Program an Arduino as a Modbus TCP/IP Client & Server
What you'll learn
- Understand the Arduino Uno and Ethernet Shield from a Hardware persepctive
- Connect an Arduino Ethernet Shield to an Arduino Uno
- Connect an Arduino Uno to a Hitachi HD44780 LCD display
- Use the Arduino IDE to develop applications for the Arduino Uno
- Write an Arduino Sketch application to display messages on an LCD display
- Write an Arduino Sketch application to implement a Modbus Client
- Test an Arduino Modbus master using the Modsim32 Modbus server simulator
- Write an Arduino Sketch application to implement a Modbus Server
- Test an Arduino Modbus slave using the Modscan32 Modbus client application
- Basic working knowledge of the Modbus RTU protocol.
- Familiarity with the installation of software applications on the Windows OS platform
- Elementary understanding of the "C" programming language
- Basic understanding of elementary electronics
If you work in the Automation Industry, you will know that automation equipment is very expensive. And many a time, especially for small applications, you simply cannot justify the use of very expensive equipment.
This is where the Arduino comes in!
The Arduino development board allows you to create very simple, but very powerful, Modbus client or server devices through the use of relatively simple "C" programming. With the Arduino, you have full custom control over the program design allowing you to create very lean and very efficient devices for very specific purposes.
Put simply, mastering Modbus on the Arduino is going to take your skill level and value in the Automation Industry to a whole new level.
That is what this course is going to do. At the end of the course, you will know how to:
1. Choose the appropriate Arduino hardware.
2. Interconnect Arduino hardware with other add-on hardware.
3. Write "C" applications to implement Modbus client and server functionality.
4. Use software and hardware to test each application that you write.
All of the programs written in the course are freely downloadable and give you a perfect starting point for further development. At the end of the course, you will have the knowledge to create your own products, your own custom Modbus client and server hardware.
Looking forward to seeing you on the inside!
Who this course is for:
- Electrical Engineers
- Electrical Technicians
- Electrical Tech or Engineering Students
- Process Control Technicians and Engineers
- Process Automation Engineers
- Programmers working in the Process Automation field
I have been working in the fields of Software Development, Software Systems Integration and Process Automation since 1996. In 2003, I stepped out on my own and started working for myself providing software development and systems integration services to small and medium businesses.
I am also associated with a great company called Mora Systems Limited that under the leadership of it's Managing Director has produced innovative and outstanding products and services in the fields of GIS and Cellular based SCADA.
Teaching has always been a passion for me. I have taught at the tertiary level for many years on the subjects of programming, control systems as well as systems integration. In the last few years I found myself incorporating more and more videos into the curriculum with amazing results.
When I heard of uDemy I just could not help but sign up. With teaching in a classroom, you can reach only so many students, but with uDemy you can reach the world! I plan to publish and promote as many courses as I possibly can on the uDemy platform.