How To Play The Djembe: For Beginners
What you'll learn
- By the end of this course you will have a basic understanding of how to play the Djembe.
- Improve you self confidence, and learn to express yourself on this amazing hand drum!
- You will have a solid understanding of the three basic sounds of the Djembe.
- You will learn how to play some basic rhythms and patterns.
- You will need a Djembe to practice with. You can buy or rent one from your local music store. Also, bring your energy and enthusiasm!
This course is designed to help students learn to play the Djembe. This West African hand drum is fun and easy to play! How To Play The Djembe: For Beginners is a step by step course that will introduce you to the three basic tones of this amazing drum and provide you with a number of patterns and exercises for you to practice.
Each video lecture will provide students with clear and easy to follow instructions. The learning process is gradual and each lesson builds upon the other. This course also includes an easy to read pdf of the exercises and patterns featured throughout the video in music notation form.
Hand drumming is an easy and fun form of personal expression. Students will gain self confidence, improve concentration and relieve stress by taking this course!
Who this course is for:
- If you've ever wanted to play a hand drum or if you just want to brush up on your basic technique on the Djembe, this is the course for you.
- If you are an advanced Djembe player this course may not be challenging enough for you.
Larry Crowe was born in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. He has been playing the drums since the age of thirteen. He has a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in music from York University, Toronto, Canada. In 1983 he received a grant from the Canada Council to study at the Banff School of Fine Arts. Larry has performed in Canada, the United States, Europe, Central America, the Caribbean, and throughout Asia. He has performed and recorded in many musical settings and with various artists like Grammy Award winner Patti Austin (R&B/Jazz), Grammy Nominated Ron Korb (World Music), Juno Award winner Robert Michaels (Latin Jazz), Jim McCarty (Yardbirds, Renaissance), Jesse Gress (Todd Rundgren, Tony Levin Band), John Hawken (Renaissance, The Strawbs) and Hilario Duran (Latin Jazz). He has also performed with musical theatre shows like "On The Eighth Day" and "Menopause Out Loud". As a composer and songwriter, Larry has produced and written music for singers and bands in the popular music field. As well as, instrumental pieces for media, advertising and children's music. As an educator, Larry has been teaching drums for over twenty years in the Toronto area and is the author of the drum set method books Masterful Drumming Volume 1 and 2. He also maintains a busy schedule performing, teaching and conducting workshops and clinics.