How to Paint From Beginner to Master -Acrylic Painting-
What you'll learn
- Learn about cleaners and brush techniques-including what each brush is designed to do, how to hold them correctly, positioning and motion
- Lesson 1 is designed to familiarize you with the terminologies I’ll be using throughout the rest of the course and get you acquainted with the 5 value greyscale
- This course starts at the ground and builds every student up from there, to make sure you have a solid foundation to grow from.
- You’ll learn the science behind different materials like acrylic mediums, what they do and how to use them correctly to make your colors more vibrant!
- These exercises are also designed to begin teaching you the core fundamentals of acrylic painting. developed over years of teaching
- You’ll do your first painting using the new techniques, based on a simple image that I'll supply you.
- You’ll learn an approach to doing a drawing specifically for a painting, an easy system to get your drawing right every time
- You’ll learn how to do an underpainting/how to paint in layers to achieve realism As well as shading and blending techniques that will give you better gradients
- You’ll paint a still life of an old chrome kettle from a hi res photograph I’ll supply you.
- This lesson is designed to teach you how to handle textures, like metal, scratches, bright highlights and reflective surfaces, as well as atmosphere
- You’ll learn visualization and simplification techniques that I’ve developed to make painting easy for anyone.
- Next, I'll teach you to use color in a painting and begin learning basic color theory concepts and compositions.
- I’ll show you how to use a new kind of color mixing technique, that will make mixing any color imaginable easy- and make sure you never get muddy colors again!
- You’ll learn the difference between chroma, color and values and how to control them, as well as how to manage a combination of colors on one palette.
- Next, you’ll paint a still life of a grapefruit, based on an image I'll supply you. In this lesson, you’ll learn how to compose complex color schemes in your pa
- You'll learn how to compartmentalize images to simplify them and make painting anything easier!
- I'll teach you how to manage a controlled color palette with over 5 color scales on it and insure that your paintings are always bright and vibrant!
- Next, you’ll paint a portrait. You’ll learn a method to mixing a perfect skin tone, every time and the rules to portrait painting.
- You’ll get an in-depth lesson on painting detail and how to easily add incredible detail to a painting without needing extreme patients.
- I'll show you tricks to painting eyes and hair.
- I'll explain techniques to draw a viewers attention to desired focal points in your paintings.
- You’ll learn how to varnish a painting and give it a beautiful, glossy, finished look.
- You'll need some basic painting supplies, which you'll find listed in the "SUPPLY LIST" Video (there's also a downloadable, printable version).
- No previous experience is necessary!
Acrylic Painting From Beginner to Master is designed to teach anyone, from beginner to moderate skill levels, all of the fundamentals of acrylics you’ll ever need to create colorful, photo realistic paintings.
You’ll learn time honored painting techniques combined with contemporary approaches, delivered to you in guided lectures, carefully crafted and edited to match anyones pace perfectly! Including access to me 7 days a week for any questions or even coaching you need along the way!
We'll do 6 paintings and projects together from start to finish, each one designed to teach you different aspects of painting, like textures, color mixing and theory, brush handling, painting in layers, using mediums, glazing and isolation coats, underpainting, painting with planes, mixing and painting skin tone, color compositions from still lives to portraiture, and painting detail.
You’ll watch me demonstrate every lesson, step by step, as I go into incredible detail of every aspect of creating a painting from start to finish. I’ll explain exactly how to use mediums, choose and handle brushes and mix every color, down to the percentage of paint. By the end of this course, you’ll be able to mix or match any color imaginable from it’s brightest vibrance to its most neutral tone!
I’ll show you various brush holding techniques and how to apply your brushstrokes to achieve photorealism and give your paintings the brilliance of a masterwork.
You’ll learn how to create luscious textures in your paintings, like chrome and glass, as well as natural textures like skin, hair or a fruit. And you’ll learn how to mix a vibrant, life-like skin tone based on old master techniques.
With the help of animations, I'll go into in-depth explanations to help you learn more complex concepts like color theory and how to compose your own color compositions that don’t just work for paintings but every image you create in the future in any medium.
I'll even show you how to light and photograph your subjects so you can create masterworks based on your own ideas in the future.
And by the end of this course, you'll have the skills and understanding of acrylic painting to easily paint any subject your heart desires!
Who this course is for:
- Anyone from absolute beginners to experienced artists who want to learn or master a traditional painting technique.
I’ve made a living as fine artist and illustrator based in NYC for over 20 years, exhibited internationally and won awards for painting. I studied at the School of Visual Arts among other institutions, where I learned most of these techniques.
During that time, I worked for artists like Tom Weselmann, (now considered one of the greatest pop artists who ever lived) Marjorie Stryder, and Kevin Barrett, whom I helped fabricate large scale metal sculptures for. Since then, I’ve gone on to show from Galleries in Manhattan like Joseph Nahmad, to international shows like Art Basel.
I write and teach under a under a pseudonym because of a teacher I had back when I was studying in college. He taught at the School Of Visual Arts for decades and throughout that time he had a strict policy of never showing his students his own work. (This was all the way back in 1995, so it wasn’t as simple as googling his name to see a list of his paintings). His philosophy, which I have chosen to adopt, was that showing your students your work stifles them creatively and they’ll likely just end up making paintings that look like yours. And let me tell you, he was right. I saw plenty of students coming out of very expensive classrooms producing carbon copies of their teachers work- and that’s the last thing I want to achieve from creating this class. I want to give you the tools to have complete creative freedom to paint and express yourself, without giving up from frustration like so many before us. What I teach you in this class can be applied to EVERY painting style, not just realism. The techniques, palettes, brushes, color theories, etc are universal and can be applied to achieve whatever painting style you desire- and I urge you to find your own!