How to Make Candles - Candle Making for Beginners
What you'll learn
- Students will learn about the different types of wax and how and when to use them to suit the mold or container.
- By the end of the course you will know the type and size of wick to use to ensure the best burning of the candle for a clean burn and a good fragrance throw.
- Understand the best type of fragrances to use and how to anchor essential oils in your candles.
- How to use colour to create stunning effects in both pillar and container candles.
- How to theme and decorate candles for special occasions, for gifts and to sell.
- No previous experience is necessary.
- You need to be able to calculate simple percentages.
- You will need some basic equipment, wax, wicks, colours and fragrance as well as containers or molds.
- Previous use of blending of essential oils and fragrance oils is an advantage but not necessary.
In this course you will learn how to make numerous candles using beeswax, paraffin and soy wax with a variety of fun techniques. You will discover the benefits of making your own candles, from avoiding the toxic ingredients often found in candles to choosing your own colours and fragrances. You will also learn:
- How candles work
- The different types of wax and the best choices for pillar and container candles.
- The correct way to colour candles and how to create fantastic effects with colours
- All about wicks, how they work and the best which ones to use in your candles
- The 2 types of fragrance, their pros and cons and which is best to use for candle making
- How to set up a safe work area in which to make candles
- What equipment you will need - most of it is basic kitchen equipment you probably already have
- The 2 main types of mold and how to use them, as well as ideas for sourcing cheap candle containers, so that you can get started straight away at little or no cost.
As well as watching how to make regular pillar and container candles, you will see how to make massage candles, wax tarts, floating candles and tea lights. You will also see how to make some fabulous candles using whipped wax.
There is even a section on decorating your containers and candles so that you can give them as gifts or even sell them.
I will walk you step by step through making all the candles, so that you can easily make your own afterwards.
By the end of the course you will have enough information and skills to design your own candle creations using a range of molds, fragrances and colours.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who wants to learn how to make candles using various techniques and molds for personal use, to give as gifts or to sell
- Anyone who is looking for a new creative hobby
- This course is perfect for anyone familiar with soap making, as the techniques for melting, pouring and creating effects with colour are similar for candle making.
- Anyone who wants to have candles that have safer emissions and fewer health risks by avoiding carcinogenic and toxic petrochemicals in some synthetic fragrances..
I have been making soap, candles and bath products for over 25 years and over the last 20 years, I have taught face to face courses and created a number of online courses.
I started with the Melt and Pour soap method and then went on to make soap from scratch using the Cold Process method. I love to share my expertise with others, which led me to start teaching soap making from my home. Now my course is an online version, which allows me to share my passion with students from all over the world, who want to learn or master soap making.
I have successfully sold my soaps, bath products and candles to friends, co-workers, at craft fairs and online.
The best thing about Hot and Cold Process soap making and candle making is that you can make totally natural products that do not contain any harmful chemicals. I can teach you how to make a simple, plain bar of soap, or how to unleash your creativity using fabulous colouring techniques. I have studied aromatherapy, so am the perfect person to guide students in the use of essential oils.
I have always loved teaching and love the satisfaction of teaching a complete beginner to make something creative and seeing or hearing about their delight in the fabulous results they have achieved. Udemy's discussion area is perfect for following up with students and sharing in their successes.
Join my courses and let me help you have fun and make amazing soap, bath products and candles.
Howorama Inc. specialises in the creation of online courses. Howorama Inc is owned and run by Shona and Chris O'Connor.
Shona currently teaches courses about soap making, candle making and bath products. The courses range from beginner level to more advanced.
Chris teaches courses about Retro Gaming.
Both instructors have been teaching on Udemy for several years and have produced numerous courses.