How to Make an Online Store w/ WordPress - eCommerce Website
- You'll need the WordPress software, but don't worry, it's free and we'll show you how to install it in the course!
- Any computer with internet access
- No coding or prior experience required
If you want to create an eCommerce website to sell physical or digital products online, this is the course for you.
We’ll build an actual eCommerce website step by step, from start to finish. You’ll learn how to get your website live on the internet and how to customize it with WordPress. No experience and no coding is required.
The website we’ll build will have the following features:
- Variable products that can have different colors/sizes
- Limits on available inventory
- Shipping rates automatically applied based on location of customer
- Tax rates automatically applied based on location of customer
- Auto-generated emails to site owner and customer for new orders, invoices, etc.
- Checkout page to gather necessary shipping information
- PayPal payment gateway
- Credit card and debit card payment gateways
- Cart page to edit items added to cart
- Promotional codes
- Customer user accounts
- Product reviews
- Related products on product pages
- ‘Follow Us’ widget with social icons and links to profiles for such as Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, Instagram, etc.
- ‘Contact Us’ widget with company contact information
- Custom domain name
- Unlimited bandwidth web hosting
- Responsive web design, so it will look good on any screen size, tablet, or mobile phone
Don’t have a programming background? No worries, we’ll start from scratch. You’ll learn how to register a domain name, set up web hosting, and install WordPress (in other words, everything you need to get your site live on the internet). Then we’ll start customizing the site with WordPress. You’ll be able to quickly and easily add content and customize the design. All without writing code.
We’ll be using the WooCommerce plugin and the Storefront theme to create the site. WooCommerce is one of the most widely used tools for creating an eCommerce site, and Storefront is a theme built specifically for WooCommerce.
We’ve cut out the fluff so that you can get your website online as quickly as possible and start selling products. Now go get started!
- Anyone who wants to learn how to create an eCommerce website
- Anyone who wants to learn the basics of WordPress and WooCommerce
- Anyone looking to get started in web development
- Course Intro08:42
- Intro to WordPress02:38
- Getting Started Intro01:16
- What is a Domain Name?01:17
- How to Register a Domain Name02:02
- What is Web Hosting?01:05
- How to Get the Cheapest Web Hosting04:32
- How to Connect your Domain and Web Host01:17
- How to Install WordPress03:03
- How to Change HostGator and WordPress Passwords01:46
- Installing Storefront Theme01:10
- Installing WooCommerce Plugin02:27
- Title, Tagline, Favicon and Background01:53
- Creating a Simple Product03:44
- Creating a Variable Product12:49
- Homepage Control Plugin01:33
- Product Categories01:52
- Contact Us and Social Media Icons03:27
- Sidebar Widgets01:48
- WooCommerce Settings06:04
- PayPal Checkout Process01:07
- Additional Resources00:56
- Additional Resources Discounts2 pages
Here is what some of my students are saying:
“This course was extremely helpful for me. I went from having no experience whatsoever to having my own website in 2 days. It's invaluable for anyone who's thinking of setting up a WordPress website and doesn't have any prior knowledge. The production is great - engaging and informative. I love the way that each bite-sized video automatically loads the next one. Each video is just a few minutes long - so it's not overwhelming. And you even get to know how far along you are in the course as you advance through the lessons. Asking questions is easy through the discussions option - I've asked several 'silly' questions and had them answered quickly and helpfully. You rock Hoku - thank you”
“Very good course on the subject. And what's even better is the support from Hoku. When presenting your 'problem', he answers prompt the solution. This is how all courses should be. Chapeau”
“If you've ever wanted to know how to put up a professional looking website in record time without hiring anyone, this is the course. I'm experienced in setting up WordPress sites, but this course has introduced me to information and techniques that I did not know. Wonderful!”
“I enjoyed this course and learned a lot from it. Hoku was great, answered questions quickly and was very responsive. I recommend this course for anyone wanting to get started with WordPress.”
“The course is very easy to follow, and Hoku is extremely helpful and active. I never find myself growing impatient while going through the lectures as I do with some other courses because Hoku gets right to the point while still making sure not to move too fast which is great for beginners. I definitely recommend this course.”
-Justin Del Toro
“I've really enjoyed taking this course, it's very comprehensive and covers a range of different websites that can be created in WordPress. The tutor is clear and easy to follow with the steps to take easily followed and the video and audio quality of the course is great.”
“Your courses are like one-stop solution to struggling unemployed people to make cool self-intro websites with awesome plugins within minutes. I love your tuts and hope to do more. Cheers.”
“Before I took this course I knew nothing about building a website or Wordpress. This course exceeded my expectations. Hoku explained things very clearly, and he spoke slowly so I could take notes. He's very good at explaining the technical parts and his thought process. I highly recommend this course!”