How to Get Kids to Listen & Keep Your Cool When They Don't!
- Be open to creative, novel solutions that use your body and your mind for creating a connection with children
Do you want the yelling, arguing, and complaining to end?
Are you tired of not being heard?
Frustrated by how quickly you seem to loose your cool?
Ready to become mindful when it comes to your relationships with children (whether you are a parent/caregiver or a teacher)?
Buckle your seat belt, because in this course you will learn how to:
Truly CONNECT with your child (so you can stop the rewards and punishments)
Create CLOSENESS and TRUST (rather than distance and hostility)
COMMUNICATE in a way that will allow you to be heard and understood (leave the nagging behind)
GUIDE in a positive way (so kids can make choices that make you proud!)
Keep CALM using somatic CENTERING exercises (never lose it again)
Complete a pattern identity log that will help you TRANSFORM your interactions
FUN activities that get kids talking (so you can build that relationship you've always wanted)
The course is divided into FOUR main sections:
Understanding the Cycle of Reactivity
· Understand how you become locked in an unconscious spiral of mental and physical reactivity
· Become aware of how reactivity effects the physical body and influences your voice and movement
· Learn somatic centering practices that prevent you from being locked into an unconscious habitual pattern of reactive behaviour
· Use meditation and breathing disciplines to bring your body-mind into a state of equanimity
· Move from judgement to presence; learn to shift your paradigm through listening to how you speak
· Use language that stems from empathy and understanding rather than judgment, criticism and blame
Activities that Connect
· Use toning sound to increase or decrease vibrational energies according to a child’s needs
· Practice belly breathing and somatic exercises to restore and maintain calmness
· Techniques to get your kids to talk at the dinner table (they really work!)
By the end of this course you will be able to:
· Recognize when you are heading in a downward spiral of reactive behaviour
· Learn how not to fall into the habit of adopting a position of resistance when feeling provoked
· Communicate in a way that allows you to be heard and understood
· Develop non reactive attention through the practice of being centered and grounded in your body
· Allow children to problem solve with your support, so they can build confidence for the choices they make
· Have a deeper sense of connection with children - one that supports harmony, understanding and acceptance
· Hear children's real needs, regardless of how they express themselves
This course was primarily designed for frustrated, confused, and exhausted parents, caregivers and teachers. However, it would also be useful to anyone who is looking to learn concrete tools for deepening the connection with the children in their life.
Who this course is for:
- Parents/Caregivers and teachers who want the yelling, arguing, and complaining to end!
- Parents/Caregivers and teachers of children (aged 0-40+) interested in learning effective ways to mindfully mentor.
- People who work with children and their caregivers and who want to help support a loving family (e.g. teachers, coaches, pastors, counselors, etc.).
What is postural intelligence? Posture IQ is the capacity to integrate body, mind and voice so that your posture supports you in aligning with your life purpose.
Our mission is simple: Empower people to Age Smarter™. Forget everything you've been told about "normal" aging and let us show you how to optimize your time here on earth.
Heather Renee Frederick– PhD, Psychology & Yoga Instructor
When I received my PhD in Psychology with an emphasis in aging from Brandies University at the ripe age of 28, I believed getting old was something I studied, not something that I did.
But the birthing of twins, combined with decades of slaving behind a computer, wrecked havoc on my neck and back. Both my physical therapist and chiropractor suggested yoga (something I resisted for years – thinking I was too inflexible and that I didn’t have time for sitting cross-legged and chanting “om”). At my wits end and feeling like I was absolutely falling apart, I bought a DVD and in the privacy of my living room, yoga began healing the pain in my body, allowing something else to emerge – the pain experienced from not living my life purpose.
I was well into mid-life when I left my full time gig at the University to begin a business focused on helping people find their happy place. I completed certifications in yoga and energy psychology so I could better support others in the reshaping of both their bodies and minds. Five years later, at an Expand Your Happy Meetup group that I hosted, I met Michael, and the synergy experienced resulted in the creation of Posture IQ.
I believe in aging gracefully and am passionate about sharing the concept of Posture IQ with the world. When I'm not out spreading the good news that you CAN age smarter™, you will find me in our home yoga studio; curled up with a book, journal article or youtube video learning more about my posture obsession; experimenting in the kitchen; or finding humor in my own aging process.
If you are eager to love the body you are in, even as you age, then I look forward to connecting with you.
PhD in Psychology, Brandeis University
Professor & Research Methodologist
Yoga Practitioner & Instructor
Founder: Expand Your Happy Movement
Energy Psychologist (Certified Restoration Therapist)
Strong Posture, Breath Work and Vagal Toning Junkie
Moylan (Michael) Ryan - Somatic Therapist, Rolfer & Marital Arts Master
Born and raised in Ireland, I became fascinated by the body and how it moves when I first witnessed the flow of dance. I wondered: ‘Why do some move with grace and ease while others struggle?’
I explored and developed my movement consciousness through the practice of Aikido. Decades later I understand how movement and posture are developed through bodily sensations and mindful perceptions.
My training as a Somatic Psychotherapist revealed how the body and mind shape one another, inspiring me to come to the US to study bodywork. I am a graduate from the Dr. Rolf Institute, as well as a Certified Massage Therapist and Posture Exercise Professional.
While I have always enjoyed liberating clients from the burden of imposed contraction, reintroducing their natural ‘flow state’, it wasn't until I hit my mid-50's that I became curious about how to maintain this flow state as one ages. In particular, spurred by my own journey to free myself from chronic back pain, I took a deep dive into understanding how posture impacts the aging process and what I discovered was transformational.
In 2018 I co-created Posture IQ with my partner, Dr. Heather Frederick. We are passionate about sharing the concept of Posture IQ with the world, and if you are interested in learning how you can age smarter™, then I look forward to meeting you soon!
Somatic Psychotherapist (Europe)
Rolfing Practitioner (clients include Arizona Diamondbacks & Coyotes)
Certified Posture Exercise Professional
Faculty and Administrative Positions (Arizona Sate University and Arizona College)
Aikido Teacher and Director of Instruction
Provider of continuing education with the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork
The Rolf Institute in Boulder, Colorado
Association of Bodywork and Massage Professionals
National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork