How To Draw Realistic Faces
What you'll learn
- What to look for in your subject to draw a realistic portrait
- How to draw realistic eyes, noses and mouths
- Different methods for drawing the layout of the face
- Useful sketching and shading techniques for drawing faces
- How to capture the 'likeness' of the person you are drawing
- Simple and effective warm up drawing exercises for any level
- How to choose a suitable photograph for portrait drawing
- How to draw a portrait from start to finish
- Basic drawing skills such as sketching simple shapes and shading different tonal values
- Or a give it a go attitude and a willingness to practice
Everyone wants to be able to draw people. There are lots of courses out there on how to draw faces and you could take any of them and learn how to draw a reasonable looking face. But this doesn't always translate into drawing an actual person! This is the hard part....drawing a face that actually looks like the person you want to draw.
This course teaches you what you need to know to be able to capture the likeness of a person using just a pencil on paper. We start with drawing each of the features of the face individually and then move on to the structure of the face and a full portrait.
With this course you'll get:
• Diagrams and explanations showing you just what to look for to find the structure of the eyes, nose, mouth and face
• Practical worksheets to apply what you've learnt to real faces
• Full real time draw-along tutorials taking you through a simple four step process to draw each of the features of the face from a photograph
• Beginner drawing exercises in each section to equip you with the sketching and shading skills you need to draw portraits
• Methods for drawing the structure of the face, including techniques based on the Loomis method
• Introduction to the planes of the face
• Tips for choosing photographs to draw from
• A full portrait drawing tutorial using all the skills taught in this course
• Downloadable schedule to keep your practice on track
• Prompt and useful feedback from your tutor
If you want to learn portrait drawing skills that you can put to use in actual real life drawing situations then you've come to the right course.
I look forward to having you join me,
Who this course is for:
- People who want to learn how to draw faces or improve the accuracy of their portrait drawing
- Drawing students who want to capture the likeness of a face
- Students who have taken Learn To Draw: A Complete Course for Beginners To Improvers and are looking for the next step
Hi, I'm Emily, I'm an artist and an art teacher. After finishing a Masters of Art & Design I returned to the simple joy of putting pencil to paper and just drawing. Since then drawing has become my passion as both an expressive art form and an enjoyable and mindful practice. In 2017, after 7 years of teaching art at university level I started my own school, The Pencil Room, where I teach drawing and painting classes and workshops. From here I developed The Pencil Room Online, to share my classes in a suitable format for online learning.
My approach to teaching drawing is to give my students the skills to draw anything they choose, rather than teaching the steps to drawing just one type of subject. My focus is on changing the way you look at what you see so that you perceive it in a way that can be translated onto paper. Once you can do this, you can draw anything with time and practice.
I love the simplicity of drawing and I value doodling from the imagination as much as realistic drawing. Art doesn't need to be serious, it can be simple and playful. Making art can be fun, challenging and therapeutic and it can change the way you see the world.
Master Art & Design
Bachelor Media Arts