How to draw Caricatures
What you'll learn
- Every journey begins with a small step. A firm understanding of the basics will ensure better final results.
- After learning the basics you will have the confidence to tackle a subject easier.
- Learn to see. Studying the shapes within the face helps to visualise exaggeration.
- Onto the demonstrations. Sit back, relax, watch and listen as over a dozen celebrity caricature sketches are drawn. Take it in, and then run with it.
- Traditional and digital artists alike will benefit from this course.
- For the digital artist, a full colour demonstration in Sketchbook Pro will come in hand. Traditional artists fret not, the concepts in this lecture can be adapted to tracing and colouring with pencils.
- By the end of this course you will have a full understanding of caricature art and how to approach a subject.
- The downloadable sketches will come in handy for your reference.
- Pencils, paper, eraser
- Computer and Sketchbook Pro (or similar software) for the digital artists (optional)
- Spare time
Learn the art of Caricature using Sketchcbook Pro with this in depth 4 hour mega video course. Start with the basic theory behind drawing caricatures. You will learn all the techniques required to take your caricature drawing skills to the next level. Watch as Justin explains feature placement, negative space and angle. You will then be taken on a run through of quick tips on how to draw the facial features with just a few lines.
Following this you will be guided through over a dozen caricature sketches in real time. See every pencil stroke on screen and listen as Justin explains each decision he is making to produce a caricature likeness of famous celebrities from film and TV.
The final part of this course includes a 1 hour chapter on rendering a caricature portrait in full colour with the use of 'Sketchbook Pro'.
A short introduction video on how Justin uses Sketchbook Pro is also included.
This course is perfect for anyone looking to learn how to draw caricatures. Whether you are a traditional artist with pencil and paper or a digital artist, this course will be sure to strengthen your caricature drawing skills.
Each 'caricature demonstration' includes downloadable files for reference.
Drawing caricatures is a lot of fun. Whether your ambition is to draw professionally or for fun, this course will arm you with the ammunition you need to draw high quality caricature art.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who would like to learn how to caricature
- Animators who want to incorporate caricatured characters into a production
- Creative kids
- Creative adults
- Dang! Everyone loves to draw, right?
Born into the creative whirlwind that was early 1970s England, Justin threw his rattle away in favour of pencils and colouring pens before he could walk, and hasn’t put them down since. (He managed to lose the bell-bottoms and Bay City Rollers scarf though). The habit stuck, as he excelled at art throughout his school years and has worked in the design industry since the day he left.
Having mastered his craft he became a freelance artist in 2004, since when he has been in demand from clients including Clintons Cards, film companies, blue-chip corporations, the BBC, and a leading US toy producer for which he designed a range of new products now on the shelves. With all his commissions starting life in pencil or paint, Justin is a true artist with an impressive range that includes character design, storyboards, caricature entertainment for corporate and private events including weddings and other occasions.
Generous with his secrets, he runs a website dedicated to teaching cartooning and animation at www.seencreative.co.uk Not content to give his fingers any peace, when he’s not working Justin plays guitar and paints watercolours for his own enjoyment, for which he’s managed, so far, to resist requests for commissions – after all, 'all work and no play'…!