How to be a Voice Actor in Video Games in Australia
What you'll learn
- How to get into Video Game Voice Acting: Where to find work
- What rates to quote for work - specifically self-represented actors
- Getting a voice agent & self-representation: Tips
- How to perform characters believably for video games
- Reading video game scripts - how to audition
- Recording & Audio file formats specific to video games that you need to know
- Working with game studios and developers - what it's really like
- Live direction in studio & self-direction: Skills you need to develop
- How to market yourself without being ingenuine, spamming, or using slimy sales tactics
- Working with clients - the do's and don'ts
- Suggested microphone to use when starting your home studio setup
- Suggested recording software to use and how to create your audio files
- How to set up your home studio space for quiet recording
- Contracts, NDAs and red flags to watch out for
- Access to a computer or laptop
- A proactive mindset and desire to get practical!
- A passion for, or interest in video game voice acting
- Some experience with microphone/recording is desirable, however a basic setup will be discussed
Want to know how to get into Video Game Voiceovers in Australia?
Want to know where to start, what to use and how to successfully set up from home?
Want to know what to charge, where to find work and not make time-consuming and costly mistakes doing it the long way?
Not sure how the industry works, what contract terms are standard & what recording with game studios is actually like?
Have you tried to follow all the different overwhelming free bits of "advice" given in Facebook groups and social media, and still felt confused?
Here's why: Not everyone knows what stage you are at and what your specific voiceover career goals are, especially when you are in the smaller Australian market! Video game voice acting is different and requires different skills than other forms of voiceover work like commercials and audiobooks.
Have you felt a little frustrated seeing amazing video games release, and wonder how to even begin a voice acting career for games?
Do you just want a simple, proven way to successfully start a voiceover career?
IF THE ABOVE IS MAKING SENSE, THEN THIS COURSE IS FOR YOU!
I will walk you through the step-by-step process of where to start as a complete beginner, building the confidence through simple steps to begin your successful voice acting career in video games!
How To Be A Voice Actor in Video Games in Australia is an immersive beginner voice acting course that will walk you through everything you need to go from zero to recording your first audio session from home. Set up your own home studio and learn at your own pace in this voice acting course specifically designed for those looking to voice in video games, and wondering where to start!
This course covers 4 key modules:
1. Tools: the equipment you will need to get started - microphone, recording space and software - plus how to use it all!
2. Acting: the skills and techniques to perform
3. Business: industry IQ; finding work & building relationships
3. Mindset: critical success habits to develop for a long-term career
With download-able Hot Sheets, practical exercises, videos and resources to walk through, you will finish this course with all the tools you need to start your video game voice acting career.
Who this course is for:
- Beginner voice actors looking to start a video game voiceover career in Australia
- An actor wishing to get into video game voiceovers
- People looking for a work from home job that is creative and enjoyable
- People with a passion for, or interest in video game voice acting!
Prior to becoming a voice actor, Gemma was a criminal law Barrister - prosecuting in court rooms for over 5 years, before turning her experience to defence and further work in the Australian legal arena.
Gemma now provides voice acting services, specialising in Video Game and Game Trailers, landing her first gaming voiceover role in 2011.
Gemma is one of Australia's most prominent Video Game voice actors, working on award-winning games with studios around the world, including characters in the online action multiplayer “Warframe”, "Path of Exile", "Last Epoch" and Polygon’s Top 50 Videogames, “Eastshade".
Gemma is also the narrator for the trailer of the world's number 1 space game, EVE Online, and voices the trailer to the action RPG, "Last Epoch".
Gemma’s voice sits naturally in a general Trans-Atlantic dialect, although she’s frequently sought to voice in General American and English accents.
From an acting perspective, and as a former criminal attorney, Gemma’s analytical skills and exposure to the worst of humanity blend perfectly to explore characters with a strong engaging presence.
Her love of working in the thriller, sci-fi, and comedy genres means Gemma uses her near 6-foot stature to a performance advantage, smoothly adapting from an air of mystery and grace, to an intense and formidable demeanour.
Her curiosity and excitement about learning new skills, saw her expand into producing, writing, and directing roles as a way to contribute further to the creative industry.