Under the Hood: How Cars Work
What you'll learn
- Understand the important systems in a car
- Understand in detail how car engines work - the mechanics as well as the chemistry
- No prior experience or knowledge needed - this course starts from absolute basics
This course is a rich, visually appealing guide to what's going on under the hood of your car - explained in language anyone can understand.
Let's parse that.
- This course focuses on what's going on under the hood. It combines practical knowledge, and required bits of engineering, chemistry and physics to explain how important car systems work
- This course is taught in language anyone can understand. All of this material is practical and accessible. By the end of this course, you will be able to make sense of the advice that your mechanic gives you, and also appreciate the complexities of automative design.
- This course is very visual. Cars are incredibly complicated these days, and the key to understanding that complexity is visualising how the components work, and how they work together. This course will help you get there.
- What happens when you turn the key in the ignition: We start with a step-by-step look at how a car starts, since this is an operation most folks are familiar with.
- Engines: How internal combustion engines work; the differences between Gasoline and Diesel engines; 4-stroke and 2-stroke engines; the details of each engine stroke; ignition systems
- Fuel Systems: Rich and lean mixtures; an elementary carburetor; best power and best economy mixtures; improvements for idling, starting and racing
- Transmission and drive train; the complex relationship between torque and RPM; gearing; the differential and final drive
- Suspension, Steering and Brakes
Who this course is for:
- Anyone curious about cars and fascinated by how they work!
Loonycorn is us, Janani Ravi and Vitthal Srinivasan. Between us, we have studied at Stanford, been admitted to IIM Ahmedabad and have spent years working in tech, in the Bay Area, New York, Singapore and Bangalore.
Janani: 7 years at Google (New York, Singapore); Studied at Stanford; also worked at Flipkart and Microsoft
Vitthal: Also Google (Singapore) and studied at Stanford; Flipkart, Credit Suisse and INSEAD too
We think we might have hit upon a neat way of teaching complicated tech courses in a funny, practical, engaging way, which is why we are so excited to be here on Udemy!
We hope you will try our offerings, and think you'll like them :-)