Music Theory, Guitar and Ear Training
- 4 hours on-demand video
- 36 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Clearly understand chords and harmony.
- Understand how Harmony and Melody are related via chord tones.
- Unlock the connection between simple rhythm and a great groove!
- Learn how to use your ears to accurately and quickly understand music, learning songs faster by ear.
- Dissect the most common chord progressions used in hit songs.
- Use harmony, melody and rhythm to play the 12 bar blues (and hundreds of popular songs)!
- Before taking this course, you should have a guitar and be able to play a few basic chords
COURSE UPDATED JULY 2019!
I've completely replaced the original course with 76 all-new video lessons! There are several new resources and downloads and lots and lots of brand-new hands on demonstrations! I'm trying to meet the needs of all my students (new and old) while keeping this course fresh and updated. thanks for your support! -Will
This course combines music theory for guitar with in-depth explanations of harmony, melody and rhythm. You'll learn how these concepts relate to playing (and understanding) music by ear.
Finally, you can develop your musicianship beyond academics and technique. You'll discover how philosophy, intuition and emotion play an essential role in your music. Plus, learn to recognize chords with Ear Training.
Learn intuitively from graphically enhanced lectures
Understand how to “groove”
Hear and recognize “tension” and “resolution” chords by ear
Discover and understand common chord progressions
There’s more to music than just academics and technique. Learn music theory guitar skills.
Finally, you can learn music theory for the guitar through convenient, refreshing and engaging lessons. Whether you’re a beginner, adult student, a regular performer or aspiring song-writer, you can learn how to go beyond scales and chords into the realm of self-expression. You'll develop a holistic understanding of music through 37 face-to-face video lessons. You'll quickly begin developing an understanding that you can build on and grow with for the rest of your life!
Content and Overview
This course is ideal for beginner, adult students and intermediate guitarists. I’ve thoughtfully prepared 37 clear, concise lectures. Each section explains a specific element in music by focusing on music theory and ear training - in the context of the guitar. This course focuses on useful topics that will teach you a holistic approach to music (including ear training). You’ll begin with in-depth lectures that cover all of the essential information about harmony and melody that you'll ever need. Many lectures include hands-on activities and exercises designed to apply the skills you'll be learning.
Throughout this course, you’ll discover the power of your intellect to learn new material, while also leveraging the flexibility of your intuition to understand concepts like groove, tension and resolution.
The later sections of the course explain Rhythm, The Blues and Ear Training. You’ll learn how to play guitar, following chord diagrams, guitar tab and music notation. You’ll understand why and how hit songs often contain the same chords. You’ll also learn how to use your ears to learn new music quickly and accurately.
As a performing musician and private instructor with over 12 years of professional experience, my methods not only explain how music fundamentals work logically, but also demonstrate the interconnected relationships that are essential to understand if you want to play music by ear and from the heart.
- This course is for beginner and intermediate guitarists who want a well-rounded and practical musical foundation.
- This course is ideal for beginner and intermediate guitarists who want practical methods for understanding and learning songs by ear.
- This course is not intended for advanced guitarists who already understand music theory, rhythm and can play by ear.
The "1" indicates our main guide in rhythm, so you'll need to know where to find it!
Learn about chord scales, chord consonance and dissonance - this is the first step for predicting chords by ear.
NOTE: Watch through to the end for a better explanation of the Bm and Em chords (I correct my statement about the "3" chord later in the lesson).