Historical Airphoto Processing (HAP) with PCI Geomatics
- Students should be familiar with historical air photos and the supporting information that is typically provided.
- All information required is provided, including access to a trial version of Geomatica as well as sample historical imagery from the City of Saint John, New Brunswick
This course offered by PCI Geomatics, using Geomatica Desktop Image Processing Software and the Historical Airphoto Processing (HAP) Module
Overview Does your organization have hundreds, thousands, or even more old, historical air photos sitting on the shelf, not being used? This course will provide you with an operational workflow to take your scanned air photos into modern day tools, allowing you to create great looking ortho mosaics and elevation models.
Who is the intended audience?
you are interested in rescuing old air photos that could be used for planning, change detection and a myriad of other applications, this course is perfect for you! Within a short amount of time you will be able to produce ortho mosaics. We provide you with everything you need - sample imagery (courtesy of the City of Saint John, New Brunswick in Canada), trial software (Geomatica includes a HAP trial license) and all of the reference information you need.
What Materials will be used? Students will be able to work with a licensed version of Geomatica as well as sample data sets to follow along with the instructor. Students are expected to install Geomatica on their computer and work with a copy of the data which is provided.
How long will it take me to complete the course? The course materials (videos) run for just over 1 hour. You will likely play the videos several times and review certain steps. The expected time to complete the course is 4-6 hours.
- If you have access to historical air photos and you'd like to improve the way in which people can access the information, this course is for you!
- Ingesting historical airphotos into the HAP software
- Collecting fiducial points using a template
- Nominal Georeferencing and initial quality assurance
- Coarse Alignment - initial steps in generating a model
- Coarse Alignment - inspection and grooming of model
- Fine alignment - going the next step and improving the overall model
- Fine alignment - final generation of block adjusted model
- Generate elevation models and make edits
- Generate ortho images, and produce the final mosaic
Kevin R. Jones has worked in the field of Geomatics since 1996, and currently holds the position of Director, Marketing and Communications at PCI Geomatics. Mr. Jones has been involved in the acquisition, processing, and dissemination of information products derived from Earth Observation imagery throughout his career. Mr. Jones previously held the position of Project Manager for several large international development and commercial projects (ranging from $50,000 to
$5,000,000), and has worked with subcontractors, government partners, and local project partners to deliver innovative and practical solutions that leverage the use of geospatial imagery and technology. Mr. Jones also has extensive experience in bringing technology to market including product design, development, testing, evaluation, and commercialization.
In 2009 joined PCI Geomatics to lead the Marketing and Communications team. Mr. Jones has successfully rebranded PCI as the provider of scalable, high speed image processing solutions, and played a key role in developing and supporting business partner relations with Esri, Blackbridge, MDA, RapidEye, and over 30 of PCI's International resellers. Mr. Jones implemented the use of social media and the created PCI TV, which has helped to reinforce PCI Geomatics as a leading supplier of software solutions to the global market. In addition, he has lead web seminar production and delivery, international tradeshow strategy/presence, organized and hosted domestic events, and worked with top level executive staff within the company to implement numerous internal and external programs.
Specialties: Earth Observation, Remote Sensing, Image Processing, Project Management, Marketing, Product Development/Management, Social Media, Video Production, Corporate Communications, Photography