Master the Fundamentals of Biology (Part 3 & 4 of 4) NEW
What you'll learn
- In this course students will learn exactly what they need to know for their biology exams. Students will learn about:
- UNIT 1: ECOLOGY AND THE ENVIRONMENT
- Understand the terms population, community, habitat and ecosystem
- Understand the term biodiversity
- Understand how abiotic and biotic factors affect the population size and distribution of organisms
- Understand the names given to different trophic levels, including producers, primary, secondary and tertiary consumers and decomposers
- Understand the concepts of food chains, food webs, pyramids of number, pyramids of biomass and pyramids of energy transfer
- Understand the transfer of substances and energy along a food chain
- Understand why only about 10% of energy is transferred from one trophic level to the next
- Describe the stages in the carbon cycle, including respiration, photosynthesis, decomposition and combustion
- Describe the stages in the nitrogen cycle, including the roles of nitrogen fixing bacteria, decomposers, nitrifying bacteria and denitrifying bacteria (specific
- Understand the biological consequences of pollution of air by sulfur dioxide and carbon monoxide
- Understand that water vapour, carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, methane and CFCs are greenhouse gases
- Understand how human activities contribute to greenhouse gases
- Understand how an increase in greenhouse gases results in an enhanced greenhouse effect and that this may lead to global warming and its consequences
- Understand the biological consequences of pollution of water by sewage
- Understand the biological consequences of eutrophication caused by leached minerals from fertiliser
- Understand the effects of deforestation, including leaching, soil erosion, disturbance of evapotranspiration and the carbon cycle, and the balance of atmospheri
- UNIT 2: USE OF BIOLOGICAL RESOURCES
- Describe how glasshouses and polythene tunnels can be used to increase the yield of certain crops
- Understand the effects on crop yield of increased carbon dioxide and increased temperature in glasshouses
- Understand how the use of fertiliser can increase crop yield
- Understand the reasons for pest control and the advantages and disadvantages of using pesticides and biological control with crop plants
- Understand the role of yeast in the production of food including bread
- Understand the role of bacteria (Lactobacillus) in the production of yoghurt
- Understand the use of an industrial fermenter and explain the need to provide suitable conditions in the fermenter, including aseptic precautions, nutrients, op
- Understand the methods used to farm large numbers of fish to provide a source of protein, including maintaining water quality, controlling intraspecific and int
- Understand how selective breeding can develop plants with desired characteristics
- Understand how selective breeding can develop animals with desired characteristics
- Understand how restriction enzymes are used to cut DNA at specific sites and ligase enzymes are used to join pieces of DNA together
- Understand how plasmids and viruses can act as vectors, which take up pieces of DNA, and then insert this recombinant DNA into other cells
- Understand how large amounts of human insulin can be manufactured from genetically modified bacteria that are grown in a fermenter
- Understand how genetically modified plants can be used to improve food production
- Understand that the term transgenic means the transfer of genetic material from one species to a different species
- Describe the process of micropropagation (tissue culture) in which explants are grown in vitro
- Understand how micropropagation can be used to produce commercial quantities of genetically identical plants with desirable characteristics
- Describe the stages in the production of cloned mammals involving the introduction of a diploid nucleus from a mature cell into an enucleated egg cell, illustra
- Understand how cloned transgenic animals can be used to produce human proteins
- This GCSE and IGCSE online biology course has no prerequisites.
- From beginner students to top students, you will be taught everything you need to know.
Do you or your child need help learning high school biology like IGCSE biology, GCSE Biology or AP Biology from home? This course will give them the skills they need to feel confident for their exams.
This IGCSE biology, GCSE biology (O Level) and AP Biology course covers "Part 3 Ecology & The Environment" and "Part 4 Use of Biological Resources" of the curriculum. The course includes training on:
Ecology & The Environment
The Organism in the Environment
Cycles within Ecosystems
Human Influences on the Environment
Use of Biological Resources
Genetic Modification (Genetic Engineering)
As soon as students sign up for this high school biology masterclass they will receive access to:
NEW and updated IGCSE bio & GCSE bio video lessons for each section of the course.
FREE digital IGCSE bio & GCSE bio summary notes with a value of $49.99.
FULL EXAM QUESTION WALKTHROUGHS of past exam papers to help you learn the best exam writing strategies.
FREE topic-specific IGCSE biology past exam paper questions and mark schemes.
This course has two objectives:
To teach all aspects of IGCSE biology, GCSE biology and AP biology theory: Content is delivered during quick, efficient video lessons that are easy to for students to understand and absorb.
To teach IGCSE biology, GCSE biology and AP biology theory: Exam strategy is one of the most important skills needed in the IGCSE exams. During this masterclass you will learn everything you need to know using full Past Exam Paper Walkthroughs.
This IGCSE biology (O Level) masterclass is offered by IGCSEprep on Udemy. This masterclass covers all the content needed to write the IGCSE biology exams offered by Pearson Edexcel (double or triple) or Cambridge CIE (core or extended) or other exam boards like Oxford AQA.
Who this course is for:
- Secondary School Or High School Students Currently Studying IGCSE Biology or GCSE Biology (O Levels)
- Students Preparing To Take A-Level Or IB Diploma Program Biology
- Home School or Self-Learning Students Learning Key Stage 4 (O Level) Biology
- Biology Teachers Looking To brush Up On Their Biology Knowledge
- Anyone Interested In Biology
The number one objective of iGCSEprep is to give students the academic boost they need to succeed.
The company has a range of educational offerings including:
» Online exam preparation video masterclasses hosted by subject-specialist super tutors.
» Online exam preparation masterclass webinars hosted by !LIVE! subject-specialist super tutors.
» 1-to-1 student coaching online or in-person.
» In-person exam preparation masterclass seminars hosted in many of the world's capitol cities.
Dr. Reece Wartenberg is a teacher, researcher and entrepreneur. He has taught students from over 60 countries while working at top international schools and universities in Spain, Thailand, South Africa, Hong Kong and Portugal. His scientific research is focused on the development of sustainable food production methods. Dr. Reece is the founder of IGCSEprep, a website dedicated to bringing affordable online classes to students from any economic background.