Help your child to read and write - Part 2
- You should have completed our free course, 'Help your child to read and write'.
This course is the follow-up to our free Udemy course: 'Help your child to read and write'. Please complete that course first before you embark on this one.
In this course, you continue learning about the Sounds-Write phonics program, and help your child to deal with more complex words in the Initial Code. You will also have access to resources and activities to continue helping your child on their road to literacy.
The course is designed for parents and carers of children aged 4 to 6 who have already done the first course in this series, and who want to help their children to become literate.
If your child is using Sounds-Write at school, this course will teach you how to support them with their homework. This course is also suitable for those who are homeschooling their children.
Please note that this course only deals with the Initial Code (Units 8-11), which covers one-to-one spelling correspondences plus <sh>, <ch>, <th>, <ck>, <wh> <ng> and <q and <u> in single-syllable words. The course does not teach the Extended Code (i.e. all the different ways of spelling the rest of the vowels and consonants), nor does it teach how to read and spell polysyllabic words
- The course is for parents or carers who want to give their children aged 4 to 6 a good start in learning to read and spell. You should complete our free course, 'Help your child to read and write' before you sign up for this one. The course is not really designed for teachers or for helping older children who have reading difficulties.
- Course syllabus and additional resources00:44
- Teaching units 8 to 1005:11
- How the lessons combine02:31
- Section 1 quiz4 questions
- Word building (Unit 8 words)04:03
- Word building: error correction (Unit 8 words)03:19
- Word reading (Unit 8 words)04:01
- Section 2 quiz2 questions
- Non-word Sound Swap05:35
- Freddie plays Sound Swap03:45
- Section 3 Quiz2 questions
- Sentence reading06:38
- Word building (Unit 9 words)01:40
- Word building: error correction (Unit 9 words)05:26
- Word reading (Unit 9 words)01:22
- Word reading: error correction (Unit 9 words)03:38
- Section 6 quiz2 questions
- Word building (Unit 10 words)07:52
- Word reading: error correction (Unit 10 words)03:59
- Two letters, one sound: sh, ch, th, ck, wh (Unit 11)06:59
- Word building: error correction (Unit 11 words)02:25
- The two-letter combination < q > and < u >05:12
- Section 8 quiz2 questions
- Summing up and next steps01:40
- Bonus Lecture: Class dictation with 5-6 year-olds05:11
John is a literacy expert and trainer, and co-author of the Sounds-Write literacy program. He has many years of teaching experience, and has taught all the way from reception to post-graduate level. John is passionate about making sure that all children learn to read to mastery level so they can fulfil their potential.