Unearthing the Trojan War: The Life of Heinrich Schliemann
- To take this course, persons need to have a computer and either speakers or headphones for the video segments. The final bibliography is in both Microsoft Word format and rich text format, which can be opened by all word processors.
This history course contains about 2 1/2 hours of video lectures that survey the life and adventures of Heinrich Schliemann, a 19th century archaeologist who unearthed the ancient city of Troy. The course will also cover his other exploits, including his archaeological work at Mycenae. The course will also look at the archaeological work done at Troy and Mycenae to the present time, which often confirmed the assertions of Schliemann, though sometimes corrected his dating. Also discussed at length is the work of Homer, it's possible historical accuracy, and its influence upon Heinrich Schliemann. Last, this course will investigate whether the famous Trojan War actually took place in history.
Who this course is for:
- This course is suitable for all persons, high school age and up.
- 13:43Introduction to the Course
- 11:23Success and Fortune, 1822-1868
- 10:53New Beginnings, 1868-1870
- 11:51Digging for Troy at Hisarlik
- 12:00Digging at Mycenae: The Invaders of Troy
- 12:31Last Years, 1878-1890
Dr. Franz has been teaching history for 34 years in various colleges, and sometimes to high school students. He has written a number of historical dramas for his history students, and after one season's performance, he received a letter of commendation from former president George Bush, Sr. for making history alive to students today. He has also taken history students on a number of field trips to various important historical locations. He hopes to continue putting short history courses on Udemy in order to share his favorite historical events. He currently teaches many online history courses for various universities, along with various live classes in his area.
He has been married since 1983 to Wendy, and they have a son and daughter, both adults. In their spare time, they love to walk, jog, swim, and ride their bikes.