Learning The Neck -CAGED system & Complete Fretboard Mastery
What you'll learn
- Visually map out the fretboard and unlock the neck.
- Be able to play scales and chords, anywhere on the neck, in any key.
- Learn the CAGED system and apply it to all chords and scales.
- Master valuable note-finding excercises and visualisation formulas.
- Incorporate all of these concepts and ideas into your own playing, making you a more fluent guitarist and a more inventive songwriter.
- Learn all of the most commonly used scales and chords in modern music.
- We recommend taking our Complete Foundation Course which will give you the skills to tackle this one.
- All you need in order to begin is an electric guitar, an amplifier, a pick and a desire to learn.
It's like GPS for your fingerboard!
Weighing in at just under 50 lessons and taught by top UK session guitarist, Bobby Harrison, FretHub's Learning The Neck course is a valuable, in-depth study into mapping out the fretboard and unlocking the entire neck of the guitar.
If you’ve always wanted to instantly locate each note on the neck, play any chord or any major, minor, pentatonic or blues scale in any key, all over the neck, this series of videos is for you. Note-finding exercises and visualisation formulas are covered as well as the famous CAGED system. The CAGED system enables you to play any chord or scale by recalling just 5 shapes. It’s also very useful for soloing as well as aiding songwriting and composition.
You can choose to study this module in its entirety or use it as reference material, dipping in and out while you continue to study the other lessons Frethub has available. Either way, this course will soon have you flying effortlessly all over the neck.
This course is essential viewing for anybody who really wants to gain a full understanding of how all the chords and shapes and scales relate to each-other. It will provide you with the solid grounding that is needing to go on and study other styles in more depth such as Jazz and Country which are all founded on these same principles
Who this course is for:
- Some prior experience of the electric guitar is required i.e. at least a basic grasp of chords and scales, although these will be covered in depth. This course would suit the beginner and intermediate player, but would also be perfect for the advanced player looking to add expand their knowledge of music theory.
FretHub is a fresh and comprehensive collection of online guitar lessons, offering hundreds of hours of video tuition, from two highly qualified and respected teachers with over 50 years of combined professional experience.
As session guitarists, between us, we have played alongside artists such as Queen's Brian May, Alice Cooper, Cliff Richard, Olivia Newton-John, Tony Hadley and Gabrielle. As tutors, we have taught thousands of students worldwide.
Our guitar lessons are taught in a down-to-earth manner and presented in a logical and progressive order, providing the consistency and familiarity you get from taking guitar lessons with a private tutor.
Our aim is to give you a solid foundation and equip you with the necessary tools to learn, recognise and employ the guitar techniques and tricks that are used in the making of the music you love.
From beginners through to advanced players, FretHub has everything you need to help you become the guitarist you've always wanted to be.
To tab or not to tab...that is a question! When we started FretHub, we opted not to provide tab in favour of breaking everything down very thoroughly in a note-for-note fashion. This is how we learned to play and we feel that it’s ultimately an easier way of memorising and internalising ideas, visualising patterns on the neck and training the ear. Our method is traditional guitar teaching, much like having an instructor sitting right in front of you, rather than creating a disconnect by playing a lick or phrase once, before referring you to the tab. As both of us have reached the highest level within our industry without the aid of tab (which didn't even exist when we were learning), we feel we are the best equipped and most qualified to provide our solid and successful teaching method. Many members of our website now play in bands, having never played before they joined FretHub.
We sincerely hope you enjoy our courses as much as we did making them.