Growing Potatoes in your backyard garden
- 2 hours on-demand video
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- When you are finished with this course you will know everything you need to get a great crop of potatoes planted this year.
- You just need a simple understanding of how things grow, some room in your garden and some seed potatoes to get started!
Make the Humble Potato a BIG part of your garden.
Potatoes are an often over looked addition to any backyard garden. Packed with nutrients, they are versatile in the kitchen and long storing,. And the great thing about growing your own potatoes is you can take advantage of over 100 tasty varieties. You will not longer be limited by the 5 or so different varieties grown commercially. Home grown potatoes come in every shape, color and size.
There are few things in life that are tastier than fresh dug potatoes, mashed, fried or baked for you evening dinner. And in the dead of winter potatoes are one of the few garden crops that you can still eat fresh!
This Growing Potatoes gardening course will take you step by step through the growing process and give you the knowledge you need to grow hundreds of pounds of potatoes from your garden this summer!
Today you will learn how to grow a delicious crop of home grown potatoes in your own backyard garden.
What you will learn with Growing Potatoes:
Module 1 Introduction
- Learn why growing your own potatoes is so important.
Module 2 - Planting Your Potatoes
- Choosing seed potatoes
- Growing your own seed potatoes
- What is "Chitting"?
- Cutting potato seeds for more plants
- When should you plant
- Planting using the trench & Hill System
Module 3 - Caring for your growing potatoes
- Why you should "hill" your potatoes and how to do it
- Watering your crop
- Do your potatoes need fertilizer?
- Common pests and diseases
- Why are my potatoes funny shaped?
- How to avoid green potatoes
Module 4 - Harvesting and Storage
- When are your potatoes ready to harvest?
- Digging potatoes
- Curing your potatoes before storage
- How to get your potatoes to last long in storage
Module 5 - Alternative growing methods
- Growing potatoes in containers
- Growing potatoes without hilling
- Growing potatoes in compost and straw
- How to get a super early crop of potatoes?
This course is designed to teach you the basics of growing potatoes in your backyard garden.
You will learn everything you need to know to grow a fantastic crop of tasty potatoes your first year!
You will learn the simple steps for growing your own Potatoes:
- Choosing seed potatoes and planting your crop
- How to care for your growing potatoes, including common pests and problems
- Harvesting and storage of your crop
- Alternative growing methods
Whether you are starting your first garden or you have a thumb as green as an emerald you need this course to get you the information you need to grow a great crop of potatoes!
- This course is designed to help both new and experienced gardeners grow a better crop of home grown garden potatoes this year.
Welcome to Growing Potatoes. This course is designed to help both the new gardener and the more experience gardener to grow a huge crop of potatoes in their backyard garden.
I have been growing potatoes in my backyard garden for over 15 years. And most years I grow 150 to 200 pounds of potatoes.
If you started with a trench slowly fill it in as the tops appear, cover them back up.
Then as the tops really start to take off you should hill at least 3 times:
1. Once when the tops are around 4-6 inches tall.
2. Again when the tops are around 8 inches tall.
3. One last time when the tops are taller just as the plants are starting to flower