Great time management: How to do the things that matter
What you'll learn
- You will understand how you currently spend your time and probably discover that you are busier than you think.
- You will work towards the things you would want to do in your ideal future.
- You will learn some standard time management techniques.
- You will learn how to know what to do at any point in time.
- You will understand procrastination and how to overcome it.
- You will understand your values and how they translate into your activities.
- You will end up with a clear action plan to achieve the things you want to do and live a fulfilling life.
- There are no requisites for this course, only an eagerness to learn and motivation to change things for yourself.
In the first section of the course, you will record your daily activities and reflect on them and the feelings they generate. You will then visualise and create your perfect day. This will be a motivational tool to carry you through the course and something looking forward to achieve.
In the second section we will look first at some time management techniques widely used and that may work for you. This section will then focus on a particular method, the Getting Things Done or GTD method. If you decide to implement this method, you will have a clear idea of what you can do at any point in time and increase the likelihood of completing your activities in a timely and successful manner. The section will describe each of the five steps of the method in some details.
The third section explores procrastination. It is all well and good when we can go about doing what we need/want to do without trouble but what about when we cannot get down to do these tasks? I will explain why and how we procrastinate and what needs to be in place to avoid procrastinating in the first place. I will give you tools to understand how and where you procrastinate in your life and how you can prevent or reduce it.
In the before last section, I will ask you to go deeper in your exploration of how you manage your time. I will begin by discussing what happens when you are completely in tune with what you are doing, or “being in the flow”. I will then delve into habits and how to change them when they are not helpful. You will then go back to the activities you recorded at the beginning of the course and identify what you can change in the short-term. You will finally explore your values and how you can make what you do a closer fit with your values. This will be the beginning of your work towards implementing the changes necessary to reach your ideal day that you defined at the beginning of the course.
In the last section I will guide you through defining your action plan to achieve the changes you have identified in the previous section and we will finish with your postcard from the future, back to your present self from your ideal life.
Who this course is for:
- People who struggle to fit in and complete all their daily activities.
- People who want to learn how to handle conflicting demands on their time.
- People who are not satisfied with what they do in their life.
- People who feel out of control of their time and activities.
And before this, I gained a PhD in Biology. I want to use this diverse experience in which managing time and getting results is paramount to help people achieve what they want in life. I share and take advantage of the knowledge I accumulated to guide people towards their goals and dreams.
This is what I am doing for myself. Identifying where I want to go in life and work towards this. I have now found my goal with training and coaching around cultural diversity and inclusion, allowing me to live in tune with my values and I have eagerly embarked on the journey to make this happen.