Graphite Pencil Drawing for the Advanced Beginner
What you'll learn
- Recreate a photo of a dog using graphite pencil.
- Learn and use measuring techniques for scaling up in size and ensuring drawing accuracy.
- Create animal textures and values with graphite pencils.
- Layering with graphite pencils to build robust, rich layers of value.
- Adjust and tinker with the drawing to enhance the realistic effect and bring out the "life" in your dog portrait.
- It is recommended to take 'Intro to Graphite Pencil Drawing', or to have previous experience with realistic drawing and layering with graphite before trying this course.
In Graphite Pencil for the Advanced Beginner, you will learn how to realistically copy a photo using a range of graphite pencils. My wish is that you will enjoy the process and be proud of the outcome. The spirit of the class is meant to be light and fun, but we will also focus greatly on precision and taking our time both with the drawing and adding of value and texture. The goal is to have a great experience and a new set of skills with which to walk away.
I will walk you through the entire process, from what materials you will need, to setting up your workspace and paper, to how to accurately measure and scale up. We will discuss which parts of the dog are important to measure well and what is ok to eyeball. Then we will progress into layering from light to dark with our set of graphite pencils, building rich fur texture as well as the glassiness of the eye and rubberiness of the nose. I will also address finishing touches and ways you can make your portrait "pop" and feel alive. We will walk through it together, at your pace, pausing when you wish (just pause the video whenever you want) and progressing whenever you're ready, and at a pace you choose.
When we're done, my hope is that you feel accomplished and inspired to continue exploring with graphite pencils, or any other art media that strikes your fancy. Enjoy!
Who this course is for:
- Beginning/Intermediate artists or people who have a little experience with realistic pencil drawing.
- People who want more accuracy in their drawings.
- Anyone who wants to learn to scale images up or down with accuracy.
- People want to learn how to create animal textures with graphite pencils.
Diane Flick majored in art during college and went on to graduate school, receiving her M.A. in Humanities with a creative study emphasis in 2001. She has been making art her whole life and teaching art to children and adults since 2005. She loves to share this joy with folks who are interested in the same.
In her spare time, she enjoys being with her family and friends, playing her ukulele, dancing, and wearing wigs while talking about herself in the third person. Though truth be told, she hasn’t actually tried that last bit about the third person self-talk yet. She conceived of it upon writing this and is now anxious to give it a go.