Graphic Design Masterclass: Learn Graphic Design in Projects
- 4 hours on-demand video
- 4 articles
- 3 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Learn and apply graphic design principles to produce effective designs in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
- Learn and apply color theory and practices to produce effective designs in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
- Learn and apply effective typography to produce effective designs in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
- Design an online ad, design an infographic with effective color, create a gig poster with type as a design component, create an illustrative postcard.
- You will need a subscription to the Adobe Creative Cloud or have an older version of Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator if you want to participate in the activities to put what you learn intro practice. Note: You can also try a 30-day free trial of the Adobe Creative Cloud.
Learn and apply graphic design principles, color, and typography for better designs! Are you frustrated with the quality of your graphic designs, or wonder how graphic designers create effective content? Or do you simply want to learn more about graphic design or get started as a graphic designer?
In this course, you will learn and then apply design principles to create various graphic designs, including an online advertisement, an effective infographic, a gig poster with type as a design element, and an illustrative postcard design. You will learn how color schemes can be created and applied in graphic designs. You will also learn how effective typography can improve your designs as well.
You will use the industry-standard software for photo and raster editing (Photoshop), illustration and vector art (Illustrator), and publication design (InDesign) in this course to apply what you learn.
In the first few sections, you will learn about the overarching benefits of this course and then learn about various design principles such as proximity, alignment, repetition, contrast, balance, negative space, and rhythm. You will apply these design principles right away so you more effectively learn them. This will also allow you to learn design techniques.
In the color section, you will learn about effective color and then how to create color schemes in Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator. You will create a color wheel using Illustrator.
In the typography section, you will learn type terminology in order to know how to apply effective type. You will also learn best practices in editing and applying type.
All support files are included for the follow-along exercises and projects on design principles, color, typography, and projects. Bonus files are also included, such as photo and Photoshop brushes.
I've worked in graphic design at newspapers, magazines, and an award-winning advertising design firm. I've been managing editor of two graphic design magazines and a freelance graphic designer. For the past eight years, I've also taught graphic design at the university level.
Let's get started learning and creating!
This course will enable you to be come a better graphic designer, whether you're new to graphic design or simply want to improve. I'll see you in the course!
- This course is for beginners who want to be introduced to graphic design principles and their applications or intermediate graphic designers who want to improve and learn even more.
- This course is not for people with MFAs in Graphic Design or graphic designers already very familiar with design principles, color, and typography and who are experts at the Adobe design products.
- This course is for anyone who wants to create awesome graphic designs in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
In this lecture, you'll complete a few graphic design activities to become familiar with Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator.
In this lecture, I explain the minor differences (where Preferences is located and keyboard shortcuts) between Mac and PC in the Adobe software. During the course, I include keyboard shortcuts for both Mac and PC. I have used a Mac in the field (at an advertising design firm, a newspaper, and magazines) as well as a PC (library system and university). Regardless, the software looks pretty much the same, as I explain in this lecture. This lecture also has a supplemental resource: Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign keyboard shortcut handouts.
In this lecture, you will learn how to use effective composition, including using a grid, the rule of thirds, and other compositional principles and practices.
You will learn how variation and contrast can help a design become aesthetically pleasing. Adding a reasonable amount of different types of colors, photos, illustrations, and other elements, or varying spacing, placement, font styles, and other attributes, can add interest to a design
You will be introduced to the awesome power of color in graphic design and its applications.
You will learn about the beauty and power of typography in a graphic design context in this section.
You will learn how Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator can work together to create effective and relevant graphic designs.
Using Illustrator, you will apply effective color and spacing principles to produce an infographic that communicates effectively.
You will apply effective design, color, and typography principles to produce an illustrative postcard design using Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign. Techniques learned include drawing over a photo, adding effective gradients, and applying a clipping mask effect using a pattern and a photo.
You will apply effective design, color, and typography principles to produce an illustrative postcard design using Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign, in part 2 of this project. Techniques learned include drawing over a photo, adding effective gradients, and applying a clipping mask effect using a pattern and a photo.