Graphic Design Theory - Color & Contrast
What you'll learn
- Intuitively know which combination of colors or harmony would work best for your composition.
- Color terms (value, hue, chrome, tint, shade, saturation – what they mean and how they impact your designs?)
- Color harmonies (complementary, split complementary, triad, tetradic, analogous, monochromatic, achromatic)
- Combining colors (primary, secondary, tertiary, dominant, highlight, accent, etc.)
- Understand how we perceive colors and how they affect us (social and cultural meanings of colors).
- Use contrast masterfully to control visual hierarchy and create effective designs.
- Types of contrast (scale, value, vibrancy, complexity, texture, shape, etc.)
- Become fluent in visual communication and learn how to make engaging, clear and effective compositions.
- Understand how people react to visuals (what grabs their attention and what will motivate them to buy or make a decision).
- Boost your confidence by mastering how to analyze designs and ask the right questions when judging your own compositions.
- Learn the language of design in order to communicate with clients, printers, developers and other creative professionals.
- You don't need any prerequisite skill in design software or any experience in graphic design.
- You can still benefit from the course with moderate color deficiency.
Have you ever struggled to decide on what colors to use in your compositions? Have you ever had that dreadful feeling that it’s just not quite right as it is?
Then this comprehensive course on Color & Contrast is exactly what you have been looking for. Whether you're just starting out in graphic design, or already using design software, this course would very likely accelerate all your future progress! Read on to learn why!
Rhonda: "Best By Far! These are the most comprehensible and easy-to-follow courses that I've taken. Best investment in my business so far."
Why learn about Color Theory?
As you already know, Color is the one of most important visual elements of any graphic design project. It conveys emotions and mood before viewers even understand what they are looking at. It is the first impression of your design and a lasting one.
With the clever use of contrast, you will learn how to guide the eye and separate details from one another, adding visual interest to a composition.
My mission with this course
The purpose of this course is to give you the knowledge and confidence on these crucial decisions. To know which combination or harmony would work best, which color should be dominant or how to achieve contrast in your chosen palette? And with the understanding you gain from this course, with all the examples we will go through together, you will be able to make these decisions intuitively and effortlessly to utilize color and contrast at their best!
Zahra: "I love this course. Martin is a great teacher as well as an awesome designer.. he’s really added to my career. He’s always very clear and right to the point.. and his videos are never boring."
By the end of this course you will be able to make important details stand out in your compositions using contrast, and masterful in choosing the most fitting color palettes for your projects.
What will you learn from this course?
Color terms (value, hue, chrome, tint, shade, saturation – what they mean and how they impact your designs?)
Color harmonies (complementary, split complementary, triad, tetradic, analogous, monochromatic, achromatic)
Combining colors (primary, secondary, tertiary, dominant, highlight, accent, etc.)
Perception of colors (social and cultural meanings of colors)
Designing with color blindness in mind
What is the role of contrast in a design?
Types of contrast (scale, value, vibrancy, complexity, texture, shape, etc.)
Relation between key and contrast
Tons of examples
This is a very practical course. We will be analyzing lots of creative work in each lesson to understand and appreciate how color or various forms of contrast are used. You will be able to download these examples and make your own variations.
Vivian: "The course is dynamic, super well structured and Martin is an amazing teacher. Have nothing bad to say about it. So many examples to learn from, I'm super happy and excited that I'm doing this course and feel that in such little time I'm already so much better than when I started."
Trusting me as your Instructor
This new Graphic Design Theory Series (Color & Contrast is the first part) is the essence of my 15+ years of teaching graphic design, and 20+ years of working as a freelance designer at the highest level. I was fortunate to teach more than a 100.000 students worldwide and was voted as one of the 5 best Adobe instructors of the World. Here in Udemy, some of my courses are all time best sellers and are considered the best in their category.
The challenge of teaching Design Theory is that everything is related, and I have a very effective and unique approach to explore this amazing subject in an enjoyable, easy to understand manner, that will help you to build deep understanding in it fast.
Come, join me on this exciting journey, let’s explore the magic of color and contrast in Graphic Design together!
Patrik: "I have Martin's Photoshop and Illustrator training (both excellent), so I had an idea of what to expect with this course. I have long hoped/searched for a solid course on the elements of design, similar to what I learned in university many (many) years ago. This course, Graphic Design Theory, Color & Contrast, is a step in the right direction. It cleared some cobwebs and I learned a few new things as well. I look forward to seeing more chapters added to the Graphic Design Theory catalogue."
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who work with visuals would greatly benefit from this course.
- For creative professionals, graphic design and art students it is a must.
Martin is a graphic designer and an Adobe Certified Instructor. He was a presenter at Adobe MAX the ultimate creative in 2018 and was recently voted one of the top 10 Adobe instructors in the world. Over 100,000 students are studying from his online courses from over 200 countries.
As a designer and illustrator he worked for companies like Pixar, BBC, Mattel and as an instructor taught teams at Google, Ben&Jerry's, House of Lords and Oxford University Press.