Graphic Design for Beginners: Logos in Adobe Illustrator
What you'll learn
- Strategies to quickly brainstorm unique logo ideas
- Import sketches from a notepad using the camera on your phone, or Procreate on an iPad into Adobe Illustrator
- Create beautiful, custom logos that will impress your clients and help you land more work as a graphic designer.
- Fonts and Typography with Adobe Illustrator
- Draw vector shapes with Illustrator
- Work with color in Adobe Illustrator
- Quickly create design variations
- Export and package your logo design files
- We will be using Adobe Illustrator on a desktop computer for the main logo design, and I'll also show you how to use Procreate, Adobe Fresco, and Adobe Illustrator on an iPad to come up with some ideas. However, you do not need an iPad to take this course - it's just another tool that you could use to produce your logo if you have one.
If you're a graphic designer or wish to become a graphic designer, creating a logo is one of the number one things you get asked to do.
In this class, I'm going to show you exactly how to create beautiful, custom logos that will impress your clients and help you land more work as a graphic designer.
There are a lot of different ways you can use these skills immediately while following along with the class. We're going to do a few different things:
First, we're going to be jumping in using a notebook or a piece of paper to sketch out some ideas.
Then we're going to use an iPad for a little bit and I will show you how to create digital art using that tool. For example, you can use Procreate or Adobe Fresco, or even Illustrator on the iPad.
Perhaps you've got a Wacom tablet, which is another excellent design tool - I will show you some ways to use that for logo design as well.
Then we will use Adobe Illustrator to bring everything together into a polished, well-rounded artboard, followed by a beautifully packaged finished logo.
Maybe you're not an "artist." Maybe you're terrible at art - like I was when I first started out! If that is the case, don't worry! I'm going to show you how to use design software to create highly polished, beautiful work even if you can't sketch to save your life.
I am so excited to have you here in the class - let's make some cool logos!
We will be using Adobe Illustrator on a desktop computer for the main logo design, and I'll also show you how to use Procreate, Adobe Fresco, and Adobe Illustrator on an iPad to come up with some ideas. However, you do not need an iPad to take this course - it's just another tool that you could use to produce your logo if you have one.
Who this course is for:
- Intermediate graphic designers and freelancers who want to learn the logo design process
- Entrepreneurs who want to learn just enough to make their own logo for their new company
Derrick is a lifelong learner with a passion for making bland things beautiful.
He has spent his entire career in the creative arts and marketing sector. He had the opportunity to work with brands such as MTV, Nintendo, and Netflix while employed as an intern for Seven 2 Interactive, which definitely set the trajectory for his design career. in 2008, he and his wife opened a small graphic design and marketing agency in Montana - they spent the next decade creating websites, logos, and more for clients all over the world.
Derrick has been the creative director for major international brands and recently made a career pivot to include online teaching. He loves helping students realize their full potential while turning their interests and passions into strong skillsets and careers. From hand-illustrating logos to creating websites for global brands, Derrick knows what it takes to succeed as a graphic designer, a freelancer, and a business owner.
He is passionate about helping others find success doing what they love and he currently teaches over 130,000 students online on several different platforms. From Photoshop to Illustrator to InDesign - if it revolves around graphic design, Derrick is excited about teaching it to others.
Derrick lives in Montana with his wife, his four daughters, his son, and the family's two dogs. When he has a free moment, he enjoys paddleboarding, mountain biking, and snowboarding. In his spare time, he also enjoys making GoPro videos with his kids and finding ways to continue to evolve his craft as a designer and artist.