Get Out of the Gluten Glut (Part 1): Get to Know Gluten
What you'll learn
- Explain the difference between Wild & Modern Wheat
- Describe how & why Modern Wheat was made by scientists
- List and explain the problems with Modern Wheat
- Describe the toxic and unfamiliar proteins in Modern Wheat
- Explain what gluten is, from a scientific point of view
- Explain why gluten is so hard to digest
- Describe how gluten contributes to health conditions
- Describe which health conditions gluten is associated with
- Explain why wheat does not necessarily cause digestive problems
- Describe how wheat can cause weight gain
- Explain why wheat can sometimes work silently (may not cause symptoms)
- Describe how gluten can trigger autoimmune diseases
- No scientific knowledge or prior understanding of gluten is required.
- Curiosity and a sense of humor.
- Recommended viewing after completion: Get Out of the Gluten Glut Parts Two & Three (www.Udemy.com/glutenglut2, www.Udemy.com/glutenglut3)
Gluten.. what is it anyway? This pesky protein found in wheat, has been implicated in many health problems. Modern Wheat is a Brand Spankin' New food that our bodies can't process very well (some have more trouble than others).
10 lectures, most fewer than 5 minutes long, answer the following questions, and more! (Each lecture is accompanied by a fill-in-the-blank worksheet that can be completed during or after the lecture.)
- What is gluten?
- If wheat is so bad, why hasn't it killed us by now?
- How did gluten become such a problem?
- What is gluten doing to people?
- How is gluten causing weight gain & preventing weight loss?
- How does gluten cause inflammation?
- How does wheat affect blood sugar?
- How does gluten cause autoimmune disease? (Much more detail on this in Part Three)
The new "trend" of gluten-free eating is not a trend at all! It's an important precaution against developing a chronic health condition or dangerous disease.
Damage done by gluten can happen slowly over time so it might be confused with “normal aging”. But, the damage can be stopped... and can often be reversed!
The material is not overly scientific- just enough to get the gist. And I tried to make it fun with animations and strong visuals.
The two well-known conditions caused by wheat, Gluten Intolerance and Celiac Disease, have a frustratingly enormous variety of potential symptoms!
What Are the Students Saying?
- "So easy to follow! I love Anne Buzzelli's way of instructing. She makes everything very easy to visualize and makes me laugh. I had so much fun learning about gluten: how often can you say that?" ~JB
- “Great presentation: I was so impressed by this course, primarily because it presented the science in an easy to understand way but did not talk down to the viewer. It was a high quality production and very enjoyable to watch. The length was perfect, I think because it was so well organized. An hour well spent in search of better health.” ~AC
- “Explains why gluten can be dangerous: I found the information to be enlightening. It was concise, and it explained to me why Gluten or Gliadin could be a contributing factor to my health woes. I don't think it's too much to ask of us that are suffering from major health problems to go gluten free. Is your health not worth that much?” ~LH
- “Science made simple!: Since going gluten free is trendy these days, up your cocktail party ante with REAL SCIENTIFIC knowledge about why you don't indulge gluten. After watching this series, you will have your reasons - less likely to die an inflamed death, for example. Anne Buzzelli doesn't mince words but eases you into the shocking truth with clever graphics and saucy time travel. I highly recommend this series for the gluten-curious.” ~K
- “Entertaining and Informative! Worth taking the course: The instructor, Anne, presents the adverse effect of modern wheat in a unique way that captures your attention. The music, videos and cool animations are amazing as well! These lectures are not boring like traditional ppt slideshows. I was shocked to find that the food that I consider healthy, like wholegrain bread, are killing me! Thanks Anne for sharing your knowledge and making us aware of the side-effects of gluten.” ~AP
- “Excellent course!: Anne provides a very thorough yet entertaining history of the wheat - from the beginning when hunter gatherers started consuming wheat to our current food system. This course also does an excellent job explaining the negative health effects of today's wheat. This is a great course for healthcare professionals as well as anyone trying to get healthy!” ~MW
- “Informative and fun!: This course is fantastic, evidence based, and interesting! She even held my 5-year-old's attention! :)” ~P
- “Nice efforts: I find this course interesting. Some of the terms were bit technical to me but to summarize, genetically modified food have negative impact on human body and require more research to find alternative technology to overcome negative impact on human body.” ~VJ
- “Awesome: An excellent, easy to understand, explanation of Wheat and its dangers.” ~PT
A full-length movie version of this video ran on YouTube for a short time and viewers had some great things to say!:
- “I was amazed at how much I learned from a short video! I've definitely been eating too much wheat in my diet and this video shed a lot of light on why so many parts of my body feel so inflamed!” ~A in Pittsburgh
- "The video does an excellent job of teaching, which is the point! As a former teacher, I can really appreciate that. And I love the funny parts; it kept me giggling." ~ K in Staunton
- “This video is so informative in a playful, creative and thoroughly entertaining style! Absolutely charming. My knowledge on wheat & gluten dangers is so much clearer now. Thank you for creating this highly informative video!” ~M in Beverly Hills
- “Great video! You explained the issues in a very clear and entertaining manner.” ~ C in Colorado Springs
- “I wish your wheat video could be played in every primary school, middle school, high school and university!” ~T in Bermuda
- "I LOVE your video! You have created an easy to follow and entertaining presentation on the dangers of wheat! I am 9 months grain free (mostly Paleo) and I too love the Wheat Belly book! You put into simple English what I have been trying to explain to my friends and family. I am sharing it with everyone I know. Thank you!" ~J from Upland
Who this course is for:
- Anyone following a gluten-free diet, or who knows someone who does.
- Anyone considering experimenting with a gluten-free diet.
- Anyone with any health problem.
- Anyone curious about how science can create a brand new food.
- Anyone who wants to create sparkling conversation at a cocktail party.
- Anyone who wants to know, once and for all, what the heck gluten is.
- Any people working in the food service industry who may need to work with gluten-free individuals.
- All healthcare providers who want an easy way to describe gluten-related topics to their patients and clients.
Anne Buzzelli is a Registered Dietitian who uses a whole foods approach because, after all, that’s what humans ate before we started making food with heavy machinery and test tubes. Anne earned her Masters in Nutrition from Bastyr University in Seattle after deciding to leave her former career as a computer programmer in Chicago.