Give A Second Life To Old Furniture With Restoration Tips
What you'll learn
- Recognize the different kinds of varnish
- Use the most appropriate technique to remove varnish according to the furniture
- Improve not only old furniture but also new pieces you might own and be bored of: you can give them a new life by changing their look, working on color and varnish
- Learn restoring fundamentals
- No requirements are necessary to take this course.
Everyone has a valuable piece of furniture somewhere at home, maybe in the attic, which is not valued for what it is or for its potential because of its condition. Paint stripping and subsequent varnishing can increase the value of your furniture in different ways; but, are you able to recognize the kind of varnish on the furniture and remove it in the most appropriate way without damaging the patina of it?
The course consists of individual lessons on different concepts necessary to recognize the furniture and its varnish, and on different techniques to remove the varnish, in order to deal in the best suitable way with each piece of furniture.
You will learn how to remove varnish from all kinds of furniture and give it a new life. You will see some furniture get a brand new look, even on new pieces.
Lectures can be completed individually or in sequence.
Course Structure (Sections)
- Introduction to paint stripping
- Recognizing different kinds of varnish
- Chemical paint stripping
- Thermal paint stripping
- How can paint stripping increase the value of your furniture
Who this course is for:
- This course is addressed to whoever owns a piece of furniture, new, old or antique, and who wants to increase its value, improve it or give it a new life
I started as a woodworker. I inherited the family tradition of chair and furniture manufacturing, producing custom-made furniture and perfect copies of antique chairs, upon request, that have now become impossible to find.
I became acquainted with antiques 20 years ago and I started an intense restoration activity, using the building skills I had previously developed, widening my expertise in this field and specializing in the art of gilding. In the last 20 years I have been restoring all kinds of furniture. What satisfies me most is to see how furniture can revive and get new life and beauty, if restored with technical skills and passion.