GIS: Understand the Theory and Practice GIS in QGIS
- 2.5 hours on-demand video
- 2 articles
- 8 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Fully understand how GIS works.
- Learn how to understand, clean, and map GIS data.
- Learn how to work with both vector and raster data.
- Learn about the GPS and the Remote Sensing technologies.
- Learn how to use the QGIS software.
- Understand map projections and reference systems.
- Build a web map from scratch and publish it online.
- Geocode addresses to longitude and latitude coordinates.
- Complete an entire GIS project on acquiring, processing, analyzing, and visualizing GIS data.
- Learn how to perform joins, clipping, normalization, and many more core GIS operations.
- A working computer.
This GIS (Geographic Information Systems) course will get you up and running with GIS in very short time. By the end of the course, you will feel confident and completely understand the GIS technology and how to use GIS software to make maps.
In the course you will be able to create both offline and online GIS maps from scratch. On top of that you will practice GIS by completing an entire GIS project using census datasets that contain million of data records.
The course is ideal for professionals such as programmers, social scientists, geologists, and all other experts who need to use maps in their field. If you're planning to undertake a task that requires GIS skills, this course will give you the confidence you need to understand and solve a GIS problem.
In the course, you will understand what GIS is by looking at various GIS use cases. You will learn about vector and raster formats used in GIS. You will also learn about GPS and remote sensing technologies which are tightly related to geographic information systems. The course also covers map projections which can become the nightmare of a GIS project if they are not properly understood. You will to convert geographic coordinates back and forth to different projection systems.
One important part of the course is the practice activities. You will be given some raw spatial data which you will use to create a map using the QGIS software. Moreover, you will learn how web mapping works and you will create a web map with QGIS and OpenLayers and publish it online on your own website without using any third party service.
In the last part of the course, you will learn how to acquire, clean, analyze and visualize education and income data from the census database.
- Programmers, geologists, biologists, social scientists, or every other expert who deals with maps in their field.
Here you will find the instruction and the data you need to add a polygon layer to the web map.
Learn how to normalize population data by applying operations between attribute fields.