Getting Started with Windows 10 IoT Core Development
What you'll learn
- Setting up a complete toolchain for developing own Windows 10 IoT Core applications
- Developing basic foreground and background applications with web access
- Accessing hardware interfaces like the GPIO pins from within a Windows 10 IoT Core application in C++
- Setting up a basic prototype electronic circuit
- Handling user inputs from physical push buttons
- Designing basic user-interfaces
- Using development tools like SSH or FTP that help in typical development situations.
- A Windows 10 PC
- Basic knowledge of C++ can be helpful, but is not mandatory.
- To run the applications on the target IoT device, a Raspberry Pi is used in this course as well as an LED, a push button, some jumper wires, and a breadboard for prototyping.
This course gives an introduction to all needed topics for getting started with the application development for Windows 10 IoT Core devices. It is the course that I would like to have had when I started to get interest in Windows 10 IoT Core application development. Throughout the course you learn
how to set up all needed tools like on your developer PC,
how to set up a target device, which is a Raspberry Pi in this course.
Furthermore, you learn
the basics of programming foreground and background applications in C++,
and how to package your application for distribution.
The final section of the course explains the usage of typical developer tools like SSH or FTP that will be helpful throughout your development activities.
The whole course is organized into individual sections that have a dedicated focus on one of the topics learning topics mentioned above. Each lecture within the section starts with a clear description of the lecture goal and is followed by a compact video presentation and description. All the videos are prepared such that they could be followed with you sitting in front of your developer machine and replicating the presented content. Each lecture closes with a brief summary.
Since Windows 10 IoT Core is targeted to embedded devices, part of the course makes use of some electronic components and circuitry. These are
a Raspberry Pi, SD card, power supply, network access,
a breadboard, an LED, a push button, some jumper wires.
To learn the basics about Windows 10 IoT Core application development it is not absolutely necessary to have these components at hand. However, to get most out of this course I recommend to have these components at hand.
Thanks a lot for your interest in this course. Let me know if you have any questions and hope to see you in the course then!
Who this course is for:
- Novices in the field of Windows 10 IoT development, who want to get an introduction and kick start for own software projects using C++.
- This course is not for expert Windows IoT Core developers.
Florian Müller studied and made his PhD in the field of computer science. He is a professional software architect and software engineer, maker, and technics enthusiasts. Furthermore, he is a hobby guitarist, husband, and father. Florian is actively working in the field of safety-critical software development in the industry for over five years now.
Teaching and supporting others has always been a part of his activities and, therefore, he is glad to have the opportunity to offer courses to you here at Udemy, too.