Getting Started With Julia
What you'll learn
- Introduce you to the language and the main concepts: control structures, data types and how to do input and output.
- Explain how to adapt object oriented thinking to Julia and get you into a more functional way of thinking about programming challenges.
- Cover many of the amazing ways Julia can increase both developer productivity through parametrized types, macros, code generation and utilizing existing libraries in other languages. Also learn how to write high performance Julia code.
- This course does thus not specifically target data scientists or statisticians but is suitable for any programmer.
Julia is a new programming language designed for the needs of data scientists, statisticians, scientific computing, and engineers. Usually these disciplines have had to use a variety of of tools and languages:
- Python with Numpy
- C/C++ or Fortran for high performance
With Julia you can replace all these tools with one programming language, since it offers both flexibility and speed.
Julia is a young language with limited documentation and although rapidly growing, a small user community. Most developers today will know the object oriented paradigm used in mainstream languages such as Python, Java and C++. This presents a challenge switching to Julia which is more functionally oriented. This course will not only introduce the language, but also explain how to think differently about problems with the Julia approach.
About the Author
Erik Engheim is a professional mobile developer with experience in many different programming languages, often in combination. Erik Engheim has worked with C/C#, Java, C++, Objective-C, and Swift before moving into Julia. His experience with Julia involves automation, and high performance processing of code strings.
Who this course is for:
- While Julia has been designed for technical computing it is a programming language well suited in a number of other areas as well.
Packt are an established, trusted, and innovative global technical learning publisher, founded in Birmingham, UK with over eighteen years experience delivering rich premium content from ground-breaking authors and lecturers on a wide range of emerging and established technologies for professional development.
Packt’s purpose is to help technology professionals advance their knowledge and support the growth of new technologies by publishing vital user focused knowledge-based content faster than any other tech publisher, with a growing library of over 9,000 titles, in book, e-book, audio and video learning formats, our multimedia content is valued as a vital learning tool and offers exceptional support for the development of technology knowledge.
We publish on topics that are at the very cutting edge of technology, helping IT professionals learn about the newest tools and frameworks in a way that suits them.