Getting Started in Inkscape
- No prior knowledge is required
- Inkscape (free software) must be installed on your computer
This course is aimed at the complete beginner, where the very basics of Inkscape are learned. This section is great for getting started in vector art in general and Inkscape in particular.
Inkscape is highly acclaimed vector art software, and it is completely free and open source. If you want to get started creating vector art without splurging on license fees then this is a great place to start. Once you have gained the key skills you can easily and painlessly switch over to commercial software if you want. (Or you can continue using Inkscape of course!)
Contents of this section:
- The interface
- Basic shapes
- Fill and Stroke
- Boolean functions
- Bezier curves
This course is completely free, and provides the prerequisites for my other Inkscape courses:
- Creating Seamless Patterns and Tiles
- Mastering the Filter Editor
You can also bundle the courses and buy "Creating 2D Textures in Inkscape" and get an additional two sections with of examples.
Who this course is for:
- People who are interested in getting started in drawing vector graphics.
- People who are interested in learning Inkscape.
- 04:28The Interface
- 08:56Basic Shapes and Selection Tool
- 03:45Follow Along Exercise 1 - Basic Shapes
- 05:13Fill and Stroke
- 03:29Follow Along Exercise 2 - Gradients
- 02:17Exercise - An Egg
- 04:15Boolean Functions
- 08:08Paths and Nodes
- 03:51Follow Along Exercise 3 - Refining
- 05:33Exercise - Yin Yang
- 03:36Bezier Curves
- 04:02Follow ALong Exercise 4 - Clouds
- 08:40Exercise - An Owl
- 08:56Tracing I
- 06:23Tracing II
- 06:02Exercise - Tracing
- 12:58Follow Along Exercise 5 - Tracing the Eagle
- 04:04Follow Along Exercise 6 - Tracing to Tree
- 07:01Follow Along Exercise 7 - Putting it Together
Hi, my name is Paul and I am an IT teacher and an engineer. As a teacher / engineer I can combine my strong technical background with the experience I gained in passing on skills and knowledge to my students.
As a teacher I believe that it students learn better when they are learning actively. That's why I include a lot of practice exercises in my courses.
In addition to teaching and engineering, as a hobby I am enthusiastic about illustrating and 3D modeling.