Freelance Writing For Beginners
- 2.5 hours on-demand video
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Learn the three characteristics of top freelance writers
- Create a website that shows you off as a professional and gets you work
- Get good clips that show off your talents and experience--even if you've never written professionally before
- Understand the whole freelance writing market and where you fit in
- Look for freelance work in the right places
- Avoid lousy jobs that pay nothing and destroy your soul
- Get paid for the work you do
- Forge great relationships with clients and get repeat business
- Become an elite writer who commands the highest rates
- All you need is a computer and an Internet connection!
Most freelance writers fail--don't be one of them! I've been a successful freelance writer in New York for nearly 30 years, and in this course I'll share with you what I've learned—what works, what doesn't, and how to succeed.
Average freelance writers are almost always hustling for work and taking on bad-paying jobs to make ends meet. Increasingly, writers are being asked to work for free or for slave wages. By contrast, the top freelance writers comfortably make six-figure incomes year in and year out—I'll show you how.
1. If you have what it takes to make it as a top freelance writer--don't waste your time if you don't!
2. How to set up a simple website that marks you as a professional in your field and gives prospective clients the information they need to hire you.
3. How to get those all-important clips for your portfolio that let clients know you can do the job--even if you don't have any professional writing experience.
4. How to find your niche in the market. Successful freelancers are experts in one or more niches. You must find yours. If you promote yourself as someone who can "write anything" you'll fail.
5. How to get your first freelance writing jobs.
6. How to find writing jobs online.
7. How to avoid the trap of content mills that want you to write for free or for slave wages--you're a professional, and you should be paid like one!
8. How to forge great relationships with clients so that your jobs go smoothly and you get repeat business.
9. How to avoid deadbeat clients who don't pay, and how to ensure you get paid fairly and quickly.
10. How to develop yourself throughout your career and grow into an expert whose services clients compete for.
If you're looking to get rich quick, this isn't the course for you. If you have talent as a writer, if you're willing to follow the advice in this course, and if you take your career seriously, this course will help you skip over all the beginner mistakes and start off on the right foot as a well-paid professional.
Don't waste any more time struggling! Click the “take this course" button on the top right of your screen, and get started on a lucrative professional writing career now.
- This course is for anyone who wants a career as a successful freelance writer. Absolute beginners are welcome, as well as freelancers who already have experience under their belts.
Do you have a flair for writing? Do you want to get out of the 9-5 grind and become your own boss? Then a career as a freelance writer might be for you. It's a terrific career for a person who loves variety and loves to learn! Not only that, you can make great money at it. This course offers you the benefit of my 30 years as a freelance writer in New York, so you can avoid the beginner mistakes and hit the ground running.
When you embark on a freelance career, you're setting up a business and launching an enterprise that can support you in comfort for the rest of your life. This lecture gives you an overview of the basic knowledge you need and steps you must take to get off to a good start in a freelance writing career.
Your writing samples--known as "clips"--demonstrate to your prospective clients that you have the talent and experience to do the job. But what if you're just starting out and don't have any professional clips to show? This lecture shows you how to get good clips even before you have paid experience, and guides you in caring for those all-important clips as you move through your career.
You've got your clips, you've got your website--now all you need is some work! Finding work can be challenging for freelancers. In this lesson, you'll learn where to look for your first jobs and become familiar with some online sources of freelance writing work.
In this lesson, we'll talk about agencies and using LinkedIn to get work, and you'll learn a step-by-step method for finding the kind of work that's appropriate for your level of experience, and guides you in getting better work as your career develops. You'll also learn the two most important requirements for getting good work throughout your career.
Your clients are the most valuable part of your freelance writing business. Your objective to is forge great relationships with those clients, so that you enjoy the work, they're happy with the product, and you get paid quickly and easily. This lecture shows you how to work productively with clients so they'll come back for your help again and again.
As a freelancer, you have to handle all aspects of your business, including billing and collections. This lecture shows you how to avoid deadbeat clients, how to manage clients who are reluctant to pay, how to set up jobs to protect your own interests, and how to deal with a non-paying client. You're not working for free!
You're a professional. You're an elite writer who commands the highest rates in the industry. You're someone that clients trust completely and come back to again and again. How do you achieve this standing as a freelance writer? By being the absolute best you can be. This final lecture shows you how to keep growing and improving throughout your career and reach the top of your profession.