Get Started to Teach ESL Online to Chinese Students
- 1 hour on-demand video
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Online teaching methods and approaches
- Online curriculum development
- Online Classroom management
- Using online tools for interactive online teaching
- Creating PowerPoint classes for online teaching
- Design learning principes
- Overview of teaching online to Chinese students
- Background in teaching English
- Basic knowledge of Zoom app and some VLE's
- Using PowerPoint
- Basic knowledge of China
- Desire to teach ESL to Chinese students
---- March 20, 2020 UPDATE ----
I added two resource links on Section 2: Lecture 3 "Delivering Interactive and Engaging Online Classes".
This two resource links introduce the ZOOM Breakout Rooms tool which is very useful in creating exciting group activities online.
ABOUT BREAKOUT ROOM
1. It allows you to group your big class into smaller groups so these groups can work together on a project-based task.
2. This is very helpful if you want to create a very interactive and exciting group activity session.
3. You can have your students do group presentation and share it in the larger group if possible towards the end of your online class.
E-learning in China is growing. The demand for convenient and cost-efficient methods of studying has led to further development of online learning tools here in China. ESL (English as Second Language) is one of the most commonly sought subjects being studied online. The need for online teachers here is getting higher.
This course will give you the overview on how to get started teaching ESL online. If you're planning on teaching online or you're an offline teacher considering the move to online teaching, then this course will give you the idea on how you can begin your career in online ESL teaching.
I do my best here to answer some of the questions asked by teachers when they decide to teach online. These are:
1. What online tools can I use to teach online?
2. How can I make my classes engaging?
3. What activities can make my students interact with each other online?
4. What kind of PowerPoint presentation do I need to use?
5. How can I make a good PowerPoint presentation to teach ESL online?
Find out the answers here and welcome to the exciting world of online ESL teaching.
Later, I will upload and share a downloadable PowerPoint containing some slide activities which can be helpful in designing your online PowerPoint classes.
I'm Roland Adriano, I've been teaching ESL online for over 10 years. I'm also a curriculum developer for some of the educational institutions here in China. I create online courses using PowerPoint and believe me, it's really challenging! I'm a TESOL certified teacher and have undergone trainings on teaching and design learning for online classes. I'm very glad to share my experience and knowledge to help those who are interested in this career.
Welcome to my class and hope you get all what you need to get started in teaching ESL online to Chinese students.
-----COURSE SYLLABUS -----
Part 1: Introduction of online tools for teaching
1 - Course introduction and overview of online teaching and learning landscape in China
2 - Using Zoom for teaching online
3 - Using Zoom tools to make your online classes interactive and engaging
4 - Managing your Zoom class
5 - Introduction of Chinese online tools (Zhumu and CCtalk)
Part 2: Overview of Design Principles for Creating Online PowerPoint Classes
1 - Design Principles used for designing PowerPoint classes
2 - Application of these design principles and PPT design samples
NOTE: In this section, we will cover the basics to give you an idea how to start designing your own PowerPoint classes for teaching online. We will not go into details on how to do it. I show my PowerPoint classes I designed in the PPT Design Sample video along with some notes how and why I design it like that.)
If you're working for a training centre or an educational institution, most likely, they have their prescribed courses or curriculum for you to follow or use. Part 2 will give you the logic behind the design of the PPT courses you currently teach and help you improve the way you teach online
- Aspiring online teachers for Chinese students
- ESL Teachers who want to teach Chinese students
- Online curriculum developers
Learn the Zoom tools to get you started in teaching online, and how to use PowerPoint and iPhone screen sharing tools to make your classes engaging.
We will briefly cover some principles involved in design learning. These are useful when it comes to designing your online PowerPoint classes.
In this course, we will touch on the following:
a. Lesson Plan Structures (PPP and TTT)
b. CLIL and Learner-centred Approach
c. Application of these principles in designing online PowerPoint classes
Don't forget to go through the LinkedIn articles I added for this section as I wrote down some ideas on how we can apply these concepts in online teaching.
The article The PPT I Got Stuck With talks about my experience having 10 revisions for just one PowerPoint class for 4-6 years old! Imagine that. It gave me a valuable lesson on the right implementation of the PPP in designing online PowerPoint.
Meanwhile, Picture Telling in ESL Teaching focuses on how we can make full use of images and photos in designing PowerPoint classes and teaching ESL to kids (and even adults).