Get Kanban Organised: From To-Do To Done With Kanban Boards
What you'll learn
- The principle of Limit Work In progress and how this helps manage workflow
- How to use a digital or physical Kanban board for a team project or personal tasks
- How to set up and manage tasks on a project in JIRA using a Kanban board
- What are some of the tools that you can use for digital Kanban boards
- How the digital Kanban boards work and how you use them in an online team meeting
- What is “cadence” in a project and how that creates momentum for future progress
- Demo of how to manage team updates with a Kanban board in an online Microsoft Teams meeting
- What are swimlanes on a Kanban board and how you can use them to be more effective in your projects
- The software demonstrations use free versions of Microsoft Teams, JIRA & Trello; there are links to these in the course
- The lessons in this course are not limited to software development. The principles of Kanban apply to all tasks and projects
"Great course. I have been using Jira board to drive delivery of projects at work and never thought to apply this in my personal life. Since I set it up two weeks ago, I am more organized. I can easy add tasks onto the backlog and decide what needs to be done next and what can go into upcoming sprints. Thanks Peter." - Simangele S.
"The course provides step by step guidance on how to use a Kanban board. If used as taught, the use of a Kanban board can be life changing." - Kobus A.
"Easy to use, simplistic and made me understand the whole concept of a Kanban board - work tasks are easier to work through and get done and no more been overwhelmed." - Denise M.
"I enjoy all things involving organizing, setting up systems, and getting things done. This is a great and simple system to learn. Peter is great instructor. Explained things clearly, to the point and at a good pace. He was also encouraging." - Desirae S.
"The course is very informative. Putting what everyone ought to know in a simple well understood language. Lecturer is Well articulated and in command of his information." - Charles R.
In this course, you will learn how to drive progress with practical techniques for how to use Kanban boards in a team or individual project. I teach you exactly how these boards work, why they are so powerful and how they help you visualise your workflow so you can get more done. There’s an assignment in the course that will get you to set up a Kanban board for a work or personal project. You will actually apply these principles in your own situation so you achieve your goals of being more productive and getting things done.
In this course you will benefit from
An overview demonstration lesson of a Kanban board and all the key elements
A lesson in which I explain key concepts like cadence and limit work in progress
Demonstration lessons of software tools like JIRA and Trello for Kanban boards and how to use them
A simulated online meeting using MS Teams when you will see a team Kanban board in action
An assignment that describes exactly what you need to do to get set up and get going
Your observations and learning from this assignment so you can learn and improve
Clear explanations, 1:1 lessons, visual demonstrations, downloadable resources and more
Kanban boards are extremely powerful for making progress, so take advantage of my experience by getting these benefits when you enrol and go through the course. You can also introduce yourself to other students, ask questions, interact with myself to get feedback and also test your knowledge with quizzes.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who wants to manage tasks better; individually, in projects or teams
- Students tackling research projects will benefit from getting organised with Kanban
- A busy mom who needs to organise her family can use Kanban boards
- Project managers should definitely use Kanban boards to get their projects moving
- A scrum master using Agile techniques will use Kanban boards during the daily stand up meeting
- An event manager that needs to track all the tasks to successfully complete their project
In my courses you learn practical skills: "I feel like I am in a real classroom." - Kira Minehart
"What an amazing course! After finishing this course, I have confidence. Thank so much Dr Peter Alkema". Or Tulongeni Shilunga: "This is exactly the jump-start I needed. Very clear and concise"
I lead Enterprise Architecture at ABB and previously I helped lead digital transformation at FirstRand, the biggest financial services group in Africa. I've been featured on CNBC Africa and won the Gartner CIO Of The Year in 2016. I founded and led the largest banking hackathon in South Africa which was published in 2019 as a case study by Harvard Business School.
I've taught over 100,000 students about technology, business, academics and self-development. In 2020 I completed my PhD at Wits University In Johannesburg. The study introduced a ground-breaking theory of Agile software development teams. My woodworking book was published in 2014 and has sold over 10,000 copies.
Olugbenga Gbadegesin: "Excellent delivery" / Lebogang Tswelapele: "This is what I have been longing for" / Paskalia Ndapandula: "Peter speaks with so much clarity" / Amantle Mangwedi: "It was straight to the point and the sections are cut into nice short segments which made it easier to go through" Kathy Bermudez: "Excellent material. Well organized..."
Werner van Wyk: "Thank you Peter, once again your lesson and course have given me so much knowledge and understanding" / Yvonne Rudolph "I really look forward to take everything i learned in action" / Josephine Mahlangu: "exactly what I needed to know, absolutely valuable and helpful for my personal growth"