Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) : Basics
- 4.5 hours on-demand video
- 11 articles
- 12 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- The basic concepts of Geometric Dimensioning and tolerancing
- How to apply GD&T to a part drawing
- Why is GD&T needed and what are its advantages over the traditional method
- Practice what is learnt through thought provoking exercises with multiple problem sets in the Practice section
- Reinforce concepts with 50+ Questions
- Learn from a seasoned design engineer with real world experience in designing chassis systems
- Basic knowledge of mechanical engineering
- Basic awareness on engineering design
- Basic knowledge of making 2D drawings
The course is designed in a way to build from the basic concepts of engineering drawing towards more complex concepts. It starts with explaining the importance of an engineering drawing and going on to explain why GD&T the need has arisen and then a deep dive into the concepts of GD&T
If you are a total beginner the course will build progressively in terms of concepts to capture the core tenets of GD&T.
If you are a seasoned professional then the latter portions of the course will be useful to you
Geometric dimensioning and tolerancing is a body of knowledge and a symbolic language used to communicate design intent on an engineering drawing for manufacturing and inspection.
In this course you will learn , how exactly are the core concepts of GD&T built and how they are applied to drawings with multiple examples .
You will learn and appreciate the importance of the language over the traditional way of dimensioning and learn the possibilities of controlling the parts' variations using various combinations of symbols and controls.
The course will cover the following topics
Overall perspective of what an engineering drawing is and why it is important.
The Need for GD&T then moving towards the introductory concepts of GD&T
A comprehensive comparison of Traditional method of tolerancing vs GD&T
A detailed look at Datums the most important concept in GD&T , How are they created? How are they applied? and what do they mean on the drawing?
A detailed look at Bonus tolerance and concept of virtual condition which lays a key role in Mating parts.
Explanation of Symbols and their inspection methods
Circularity and cylindricity
Symmetry and Concentricity
Finally we will have a look at the concept of Datum feature modifiers or Datum shift.
Each section has a Quiz and you will find practice exercises to practice your GD&T skills .
The course is designed in such a way that each and every point is captured as a sub topic with multiple short lectures which are to the point with condensed information.
At the end of the course, take a quiz with 30 insightful questions which will test your conceptual understanding of the subject.
- Aspiring Mechanical design engineering students looking to learn the Subject of GD&T
- Anyone from the manufacturing industry wanting to understand the core concepts of GD&T
- Working design engineers who want to sharpen their engineering design knowledge and skills