Geology: Earth Science for Everyone
This ambitious course in Earth Science is the first of its kind. DJ Lake inspires wonder, explaining challenging scientific concepts clearly and easily.
Starting billions of years ago at the beginning of time, we bring you right to the present day. The veil is lifted on why the Earth works as it does, how we know what we know about our planet, and how all this affects your daily experience of the world.
This course is an introduction to Earth Science topics through the history of geology and chemistry. It is aimed at giving the student knowledge of why and how we know what we know in Earth Science. If you are looking for a course that will teach you identification of common rocks & minerals, you might find another course more appropriate because the focus here is big-picture ideas.
We'll answer the fundamental questions...
- How are mountains made?
- Why do oceans exist?
- What is a crystal?
- How old is the Earth?
- and many more…
Who this course is for:
- Beginners: You are curious about rocks and geology, but aren't sure where to begin…Look no further!
- Intermediate Students: You have some previous geological knowledge but you will certainly benefit from the higher level content included in this course.
- Earth Scientists: You already know the science, but think of this course as "all the interesting history they left out of First-Year Geology." I explore some interesting, offbeat avenues. Chances are, you'll learn something tangential!
- 04:46What the course teaches you…
- 08:34Beginnings, Basics & Historical Age of Earth
- 05:06James Hutton & Unconformities
- 03:54Virtual Field Trip: The Unconformity
- 10:08Kelvin's Heat Death
- 11:15What Is Matter?
Most children are fascinated by rocks and fossils. I never grew out of it! I studied geology in university, and am presently pursuing a Master's of Science in Geology. My area of study is gemstone exploration, and I read academic publications on geology for pleasure (…we're a rare breed). I'm fascinated by all aspects of Earth science. For years I've been exploring the backwoods for beautiful rocks and semi-precious gems. Geology is a deep subject that will influence your perspective on life and time; I'm here to share the highlights of what you should know about your Earth's geology!