GCSE Maths Revision Higher Tier 2023 (Algebra)
What you'll learn
- Calculus (Differentiation
- Arithmetic Sequences and Series
- Algebraic Proof
- Transformations of Graphs
- Equations of Straight Lines
- Simultaneous Equations
- Solving Equations Involving Fractions
- Solving Quadratic Equations
- Completing the Square
- Algebraic Fractions
- Factorising Quadratics
- Changing the Subject of an Equation
- Expanding Triple Brackets
- A good knowledge of GCSE / IGCSE Foundation and Grade 6 topics.
- A notebook to attempt the questions and worksheets included and to take notes if necessary.
- A scientific calculator - recommended Casio fx-83GT or fx-83GT.
GCSE Maths Revision for Grades 7-9 Algebra Topics is for anyone studying GCSE or IGCSE Maths:
Is your child studying for their GCSE Higher Tier qualification in Mathematics?
Are they entered for the International GCSE Maths Higher Tier examination?
Want them revise and master all algebra topics in preparation for your GCSE / IGCSE examinations this summer?
Are you an adult resitting your GCSE in order to access higher education?
Want to cover the concepts that will push their grade up to a 7, 8 or 9?
This course covers all the number content in GCSE Maths.
The course is suitable for all major exam boards, including Edexcel, OCR and AQA.
The main sections of the course are:
- Algebraic Manipulation and Formulae- we learn how to expand triple brackets and arrange a variety of formulae in order to change the subject including when the subject appears twice.
- Factorising Quadratics - we learn how to factorise quadratic expressions into two brackets including using the difference of two squares and by first taking an initial factor out.
- Solving Quadratic Equations - we learn how to solve a quadratic equation by using the methods of factorising and the quadratic formula.
- Completing the Square - we learn complete the square method and link this to solving quadratic equations.
- Algebraic Fractions - we learn to work with algebraic fractions by multiplying, dividing, adding and subtracting algebraic fractions as well as learning to simplify using factorisation.
- Solving Equations involving Fractions - we learn to solve both linear equations and quadratic equations that initially present fractions.
- Simultaneous Equations - we focus on solving a quadratic equation and linear equation simultaneously.
- Equations of Straight Lines - we learn to find the gradient of a line and the equation of a straight line using a diagram and separately 2 coordinates. We also discuss problems involving parallel gradients and perpendicular gradients.
- Arithmetic Sequences and Series - we recap how to find the nth term of an arithmetic sequence and learn find the sum of a finite arithmetic series using the sum formula.
- Calculus (Differentiation) - we learn the steps to differentiate and create the gradient equation for any polynomial. We also discuss problems involving tangents and normals to curves, stationary and turning points and the application of calculus to kinematics.
- Functions - we learn how to use inputs and outputs with various functions. We also learn how to find the inverse of a function and how to create composite functions.
- Algebraic Proof - we learn to work with algebraic expressions to prove certain statements and identities.
- Transformations of Graphs - we learn to recognise graphs of quadratics, cubics, reciprocals, exponentials, circles and trigonometric functions. We learn how translation and stretching transformation standard functions and their graphs.
What do you get in this course:
Lesson Videos: Watch as I answer questions of every type of maths problem you can encounter in class. We start with the basics and maybe a recap of prior knowledge and gradually increase the difficulty of each problem so you build your confidence to attempt any question.
'Test Your Understandings': After I have run through an example I give you the opportunity to assess your understanding by attempting one or two very similar questions. This way you learn by applying the knowledge immediately.
Embedded Worksheets: In addition to the Test your Understanding questions, I have included exercises of questions within each video to give you even more practice at solving each type of problem.
Extra Exam Examples: I've included a selection of recent exam questions to further discuss with you so that you become comfortable with the style of questioning and level of difficulty required.
Additional Low Stakes Quiz: At the end of each section you can take a short multiple-choice quiz to test your overall understanding of the concepts discussed. These are a great indicators as to whether you completely understand a topic or if you need to revisit a lecture and to practice more questions in order to master a concept.
Extra Exam Questions Booklet: Want even more practice? When you have finished a section you can review the entire topic by working through a selection of exam questions complete with answers.
Who this course is for:
- Parents or guardians of children studying Maths at GCSE / IGCSE level
- Parents looking for support home-schooling their children
- Teachers looking to supplement their classes' learning
- Anyone undertaking a GCSE / IGCSE and working towards attaining a grade 7, 8 or 9
- Anyone looking to undertake an A-level / O-level in Mathematics
- Anyone requiring a high grade in GCSE Maths in order to enter College or University
Maths has always been my passion and it is one I want to help you master!
Hello, I'm Peter.
I'm a specialist Maths teacher with 11+ years real teaching experience. In that time I've helped hundreds of pupils reach their full potential by first building their confidence around the basics and then progressively challenging their understanding until they master each concept.