Create engaging 2D Game UI with Inkscape!
What you'll learn
- Create fresh User Interface for 2D video games with Inkscape
- Create several types of icons and buttons for your game UI
- Use Inkscape on a higher level to create what you need for your game (i.e. menu items, buttons, icons)
- You need the free software Inkscape
- Inkscape knowledge is not obligatory, but a very basic knowledge helps!
A good game needs great graphics, nice music and cool characters
- and of course a well designed game user interface!
I created this course to help the indie developer community to create clean and engaging UI designs for their games. Even if you are not a designer, you can just download this free software, and follow my course! :)
During the course we will use the amazing open-source software Inkscape. Inkscape is a vector graphical software, which makes it perfect for 2D game element design.
During the course we will learn the theory of game UI design, and we will create:
several icons and icon sets
buttons and menus in various styles
2 versions of UI design for a fantasy game,
2 versions of UI for a space shooter,
and one version for a casual gem stone game
We will also draw an icon set for a ninja game - that lesson is a free preview, check it out!
Although this is a beginner game UI course, a basic Inkscape knowledge is good to have. I stop and explain every single step I make, but you have to work on your own confidence and skill level in Inkscape.
Important: We will create all the buttons and icons during the course, however, recreating the game screens shown in the preview and used as a base to design on during the lectures are NOT part of this course!
Also, this is a UI course, we are not working on the UX part of he design.
Who this course is for:
- Developers, who want to design their own games
- Designers, who want to learn more about Game UI Design
- This course is NOT for you if you are a seasoned UI designer. This is a beginner course!
I'm a graphic designer, illustrator and design teacher for more than 10 years. I create clever logos and cute illustrations, I like to inspire, share my knowledge and make people think and laugh!
I use Inkscape, an open source graphic design program in most of my design, and I was teaching this to my students too in a college in Budapest.
I am constantly sharing knowledge about design and life as a freelancer. I teach on Udemy since 2014 and work together with some of my friends now, to create better courses together by sharing my online teaching experience
Exploring new ways to create and sharing my knowledge is what I like the most - so don't be afraid to ask, I'm here to teach!.