Game asset creation: highpoly to lowpoly workflow
What you'll learn
- Understand the lowpoly and highpoly workflow
- How to UVunwrap a mesh to avoid baking errors
- Preparing and exporting a mesh in Blender for perfect bakes in Substance Painter
- Creating lowpoly and highpoly meshes in Blender 2.8
- Assigning different materials to different parts of same mesh in Blender 2.8
- How to bake perfect normal map in Substance Painter
- Creating layer based procedural materials in Substance Painter
- Familiarity with 3D in general and a passion for becoming a 3d game artist
- There are lessons discussing basics of Blender and Substance painter, hence no prior experience with these applications is necessary
Despite powerful computers and advanced game engines, polygon count of game mesh has an important bearing on the performance of any game and lower the polygon count, better the game performance. Hence game artists with skills like highpoly and lowpoly modeling and baking mesh maps have been in great demand.
This course will help you learn the core concepts behind highpoly and lowpoly game asset workflow using Blender 2.8 and Substance Painter. Together, we'll learn the lowpoly & highpoly game assets creation workflow using Blender and Substance Painter
In Blender 2.8, we'll:
Learn about the blender's user interface and learn commonly used keyboard shortcuts to speed up our workflow
Model low poly game asset using different modeling techniques i.e. inset, extrude, bevel
Model highpoly game mesh and use modifiers to add subdivisions and bevel
Uv-unwrap low poly game mesh and discuss key points in the context of baking normal map
Prepare high & lowpoly meshes before exporting to Substance Painter for baking maps
In Substance Painter we will:
Go over its user interface
Bake mesh maps such as a normal map, AO, roughness etc..
Texture our game asset by building layered effects such as roughness, dirt/dust and surface damage
Texture game asset using a layered approach and a procedural non-destructive workflow
By the end of this course, you'll have skills for game asset creation using lowpoly & highpoly workflow.
You'll be equipped to create game assets using Blender and bake mesh maps and texture them using Substance Painter.
The course is targeted at beginners but artists of all levels interested in revisiting the concepts of lowpoly & highpoly workflow will benefit equally.
Who this course is for:
- The course is intended for those interested in learning lowpoly and highpoly game asset workflow
- Those who want to learn how to bake perfect normal maps and avoid baking errors
I am a 3D Artist with a focus on creating game-ready 3d models. I use Blender for modeling and Substance Painter for creating PBR textures. I also use the Unreal Engine to import and test the textured models and for architectural visualization.
Apart from 3d, I love playing computer games and I guess that is very the inspiration for 3d comes from. And I love photography