Game Art Basics: Create a 3D Environment
What you'll learn
- Reference Gathering and Planning
- Set Piece Modeling
- Modular Modeling for Efficiency
- Tiling/Repeating Textures
- One to One/Unique Textures
- Scene Assembly and Composition
- Unreal Engine
- Substance Painter
- You must be familiar with video game environments and have an interest in building your own beautiful scenes! Although this course will be more conceptual than technical, we will touch on some tools and techniques which require some knowledge of a 3D modeling software, texturing application and a game engine.
- Recommended toolset: Unreal Engine 4, Megascans, Substance Painter, zBrush, Maya, Marmoset Toolbag. (all can be downloaded for free or have 30 day trials).
This Environment Art Basics Course is an introduction to the latest techniques and workflows of the best 3D environment artists in today's video games industry. Whether you're creating an indie game or building an eye-catching portfolio to break into some of the top AAA studios, this course will sharpen your artistic eye and give you concepts and foundations to make your workflow efficient.
By going through this fundamentals course, you will have started as an artist overwhelmed and confused with the plethora of techniques and workflows out there to an artist who has gained confidence and a solid understanding of game environment development.
Stages of Development
Tools and Software
Importance of Reference
3. Blocking and Composition
Structural Asset Blockout
Prop Asset Blockout
High Poly Modeling
Physically Based Rendering Overview
Texturing Techniques Overview
High to Low Baking
6. Scene Polish
Lighting Techinques Overview
High Quality Lighting
Who this course is for:
- This course is aimed at the beginner 3D Environment Artist who is looking to learn how to create stunning environments.
I have been an Environment Artist professionally in the Video Games Industry for 11 years. I am currently the Lead Environment Artist at Blackbird Interactive and previously a Senior Environment Artist at Capcom in Vancouver, Canada.
My strengths are modeling, texturing, lighting using Maya, Substance Painter, Substance Designer and Unreal Engine.
Outside of work, I enjoy watching movies, playing games, spending time with my family and Brazilian Jiujitsu.