Topics include properties of a simple pure compressible substance, equations of state, the first law of thermodynamics, internal energy, specific heats, enthalpy, and the application of the first law to a system or a control volume. The study of the second law of thermodynamics is also discussed leading to the discovery of entropy as a property and its ramifications.
1.Definitions, terminology, properties of systems, pressure, temperature scale, heat and work as path dependent functions, zeroth law of thermodynamics, concept of a thermodynamic equilibrium, different kinds of work
2. The first law of thermodynamics, and its application to systems
3. Properties of a pure compressible substance, Phases and their transitions
4. Application of the first law to a control volume: energy relationship for flow processes
5. The second law of thermodynamics, Corollaries of the second law of thermodynamics, reversible processes and irreversible processes.
6. Entropy and entropy production
7. Entropy rate balance for a control volume
8. Power, refrigeration and heat pump cycles analysis
1. The students will have learned that energy is conserved based on the first law of thermodynamics.
2. The students will have learned whether or not a process is possible based on the second law of thermodynamics.
3. The students will be able to apply the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics in performance analysis of various power plants, engines and refrigeration systems.
Enjoy and happy learning!!