Advanced Fluid Mechanics
What you'll learn
- Understand how the differential equation of conservation of mass and the differential linear momentum equation are derived and applied
- Calculate the stream function and pressure field, and plot streamlines for a known velocity field
- Obtain analytical solutions of the equations of motion for simple flow fields
- Understand dimensional analysis and similarity, principle of dimensional homogeneity Pi theorem, non-dimensionalization of basic equations
- Understand concepts of inviscid, low Reynolds number, high Reynolds number, laminar and turbulent flow.
- Identify and discuss the features of external flow
- Calculate boundary layer parameters for flow past a flat plate
- Calculate the lift and drag forces for various objects
- Physics and Calculus
- Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics Course
This is Advanced Fluid Mechanics which is a continuation of Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics course. It includes:
Differential relations for fluid particles, fluid acceleration, Continuity equation, Potential flows and Navier-Stokes equation are introduced. Dimensional analysis and similarity, principle of dimensional homogeneity Pi theorem, non-dimensionalization of basic equations, modeling and its pitfalls. Flow in ducts and boundary layer flows. Pressure drop calculations. Minor losses in fittings. Energy equation applied to pumps and turbines. Flow over immersed bodies. Drag and Lift Calculations. Matlab codes for potential flows are also supplied.
Who this course is for:
- Engineering Students
Samer is currently a Professor of Mechanical Engineering. He has ten years of teaching experience in thermo-fluid courses which include:
3-Internal Combustion Engines
6-Power Plant Engineering
8-Computational Fluid Dynamics CFD
Moreover, Prof. Samer is involved in a wide research projects in Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), Fluid-Structure Interaction and numerical simulations applied to multi-functional heat exchangers/reactors. Prof. Samer has authored and co-authored several highly cited journal publications, conferences in the aforementioned topics.