WHY YOUR LIGHTING SUCKS
What you'll learn
- Understand how to interpret a script into lighting design
- Make lighting decisions based off script purpose and vision
- Communicate with your director on lighting desires
- Know first actionable steps to start lighting a scene
- Understand principles of lighting and not just "techniques"
- All you need is a desire to understand the principles of lighting.
- Principles are created to fit what ever equipment you currently have access to, be it $50,000 in lighting equipment or just $50 in lighting equipment.
Why Your Lighting Sucks: The Fundamentals of Film Lighting & Lighting with a Purpose, is a course for all levels of experience. Whether you just started, or have been in the industry for decades, there is something for you!
What you will discover in this course will help anyone avoid the common pitfalls many filmmakers fall prey to, who inevitably light scenes poorly. Instead of focusing on every single lighting technique currently available, or the best lighting equipment on the market, your guide, Drew Harris, Director of Photography, will teach you how to "light with a purpose".
It is not about the equipment you do or do not have. This course is about the fundamentals and taking advantage of what is available to you and leveraging those resources. Drew focuses on a principle based learning approach, one that you will be able to apply to any lighting scenario. His techniques will apply not just exclusively to feature films, but documentaries, commercials, or any gig you are currently working on!
With about an hour of total run time, "Why Your Lighting Sucks" can be completed in an afternoon. From concept to completion that was always the intention we had as Drew and our team spent months developing this for you. We wanted it to be impactful, quick and to the point. Drew does not waste your time and jumps right into the heart of becoming better at lighting and ultimately helps you build a better foundation as a filmmaker. Included are short videos taking you step by step through our approach and it also includes all the Behind the Scenes Footage you could hope for. We hope you love what you learn, and look forward to developing more for you!
Who this course is for:
- Beginner filmmakers looking to know where to start with lighting
- Intermediate filmmakers trying to up their lighting game
- Advanced filmmakers looking to learn new processes and ideas
We believe every filmmaker who feels called to create inspiring works has the ability to do so within them.
Prodigies are not born, they are made over time.
A passionate team of creatives set out years ago to build, from the ground up, a production company that would allow us to inspire the world with the stories we longed to tell. With plenty of mistakes along the way, we have loved learning from each wrong turn as we have grown into a premier independent film studio. With decades of experience in professional film work, thousands of productions, and hundreds of the best clients we could only dream of at the beginning; we want to take what we learned and pass it on to filmmakers like you embarking on that same journey.
So we made the FilmMAKERS Kit.