GD&T applied to components with case studies
What you'll learn
- How to establish GD&T scheme for a component based on its application
- How to decide the type and nature of geometric control for tolerancing
- How to apply design intent into engineering drawing
- Understand the practical gauging and inspection
- Understanding of Basics and advanced concepts of GD&t is a pre-requisite
This is one of a kind advanced application based course for Geometric dimensioning and Tolerancing which blends the GD&T knowledge with actual component design and how to develop a tolerancing scheme and how it impacts assembly .
The first section of course deals with a generic methodology in understanding g a component , the functional relationships of its elements and applying GD&T on engineering drawing.
Followed by a Elaborate set of case studies which go in deep to smallest details of the component and application of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing scheme that aligns with the product function .
1. How to set up datum scheme based on application
2. How to set up Geometric controls and their meanings
3. Where composite positional/ profile controls are used their meanings and physical meaning in gauges.
4. Inspection and Functional gauging procedure based on GD&T drawing to understand the physical meaning and affect on assembly of system.
5. The reasoning behind the usage of certain controls over others.
Case studies include components ranging from the Yoke of a universal joint , Special flanges , Special latch, Steering shaft mount brackets, Bike Handle bar mount systems, Rocker arm mechanisms, etc.
The aim of the course is to bring out the conceptual application of GD&T on actual components.
Reason behind creating this course is that most engineers look at GD&T as only another standard or something to learn to just use on the drawing. But the conceptual understanding of application is missed out. GD&T is an amazing tool to create a very clear and functional drawing. Allowing to relate features to each other .
As an engineer, having had the experience first hand the impact a good GD&T drawing can have . I have tried to create a learning resource which can replicate the situations in industry.
Learning outcomes :
Ability to interpret a components functional features and apply a tolerancing scheme
Develop a strong conceptual understanding of application of GD&T in actual industrial setting
Who this course is for:
- Design engineering professionals working on component design
- Engineering students and aspirants looking to upgrade advanced tolerancing skills
Mufaddal Rasheed is a mechanical design engineer and an inventor experienced in a role in Automotive R&D designing complete Chassis systems from Concept to production for SUV projects in Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd for 7 years . Part of a team which delivered a innovative modular chassis platform for 5 vehicles.
With knowledge of the complete product development process and the details of engineering systems, he brings to the table a combination of analytical and creative skills.
Currently working on multiple projects of his own towards becoming a serial inventor and educator in the area of Design engineering.
He is passionate about mechanical design and innovation and writes regularly on Quora with a Top writer badge.
Core belief is that engineering is a lifelong learning process and for a designer it is "the more you know the better you design".
Building a comprehensive knowledge system for mechanical design engineers and aspirants which would prepare an individual for engineering innovation at Mechademic
The Courses are focused on Practical aspects of Automotive and General Mechanical design engineering Targeted purely towards product development grounded in theory.
What students say about the courses according to 600+ sample surveys
97 % say they are learning valuable information
96 % say the explanation of concepts is clear
99 % say the instructor is knowledgeable in the subject