Fun French Foundations
What you'll learn
- In this French Foundations course the emphasis is on tackling the basics to make more complicated French more comprehensible in the future.
- Because fear of speaking is one of the biggest obstacles, we go through how to learn a foreign language, which raises self-confidence and gives you the nerve to have a go even when you know you'll make mistakes. Better to try and make mistakes then to keep silent.
- The whole gender issue of nouns - whether they're masculine or feminine drives many people a little crazy. I'll show you funny ways of remembering the genders so that it becomes a pleasure rather than a chore.
- You will learn how to meet and greet in French both in a formal and informal ways.
- When counting in French the numbers take a strange turn after 69. Using visual clues and humour you will be better able to retain the higher numbers.
- Once you are more confident with numbers we can use them for saying dates, Birthdays and telling the time as well as learning days of the week.
- There are no specific requirements or tools required to take this French course.
Learning a foreign language can be very daunting for many people. Confidence issues and retaining new language are often the major problems that people have reported to me. In this initial course I start with building up your confidence by busting a few language learning myths that many people have that hold them back from having a go. Then we start by building up the important building blocks of French by studying the alphabet and pronunciation. All of this is done in a fun and laid back way because learning is hindered if you are feeling tense and self-conscious. Then we tackle the dreaded gender issue - the fact that all nouns are either masculine or feminine in French. Again, we have fun learning how to remember which are which. Next, we study greetings and basic chit chat so that you're not tongue-tied meeting native French speakers. Finally, we dive into French numbers which often give people nightmares! By using fun pictures and associations the numbers should have more a chance to stick in your memories - and the numbers can then be used to learn dates and telling the time. The main thing is having fun whilst we learn. That way you're more likely to persevere when the going gets tough.
As well as the videos that you can re-watch you will get written summaries so you can revise things at a glance. I provide you with the lyrics to French songs with the English translation - songs are a powerful way of learning because tunes stick - you never forget a tune you've heard a few times.
Here is a testimonial from Mark that says it all 'Learning a language as an adult was fairly daunting and I didn’t actually think I would take it in. Cecile makes learning fun, effortless and interesting and you’ll find you’ve actually learnt a lot of a new language without realising and thinking too much. It just sort of sticks! You’ll find yourself suddenly blurting out French words, you hadn’t even realised you knew.'
Come and learn in a fun relaxed atmosphere. Whether you're new to French, a little rusty or lacking in confidence this Fun Foundations Course will boost your confidence and French ability giving you the firm foundations you need to move onto more complicated French.
Who this course is for:
- People with a burning desire to learn everyday French rather than textbook French.
- People who are keen beginners.
- People who are rusty in French and need a reminder to bring them back up to scratch.
I put the fun back into learning French by teaching everyday conversation in an entertaining way that inspires you to pluck up the courage to actually speak in French - however 'bad' it may be!
I am a bilingual French/English qualified teacher of foreign languages with a lot experience teaching a range of ages and abilities.
Developing fun, engaging and practical language lessons is something I love to do. I have spent years researching and trying out techniques to make something as difficult as learning a new language as painless and enjoyable as possible.
I teach in a very informal way, because the most important thing is to make you feel relaxed - you can’t learn diddly-squat if you’re anxious or stressed. Building your confidence is key to giving you the nerve to speak in a foreign language and making you feel comfortable with making mistakes so that you actually have a go at speaking rather than waiting to be perfect.
I use a number of hooks to keep the vocabulary and grammatical points sticky – by using a huge amount of visual associations. And I make sure that things are more memorable by using silly voices, weird associations you can’t get out of your head and from time to time being extremely annoying so that you remember the hard stuff. I use my wit and wily charm to engage you into some active learning on what can be very dull – sprinkling some grammatical fairy dust so to say.
You don’t have to take my word for it. Check out the testimonials from students I have taught. We have fun whilst making the little grey cells work very hard indeed.
‘My first venture into on-line learning and what a pleasant surprise. Cecile brings the subject to life and her enthusiasm for French shines through in her use of memorable and fun examples, illustrated in a highly visual way. A very engaging teacher who manages to bring the subject to life and make it real - a million miles away from the dusty French I remember from lessons in the past. Merci.’ Andrew Glynn
Come and join me for some fun and foreign language learning frolics!
Your friendly and passionate teacher