Marketing for Freelancers: Get Inside your Client's Head
- 2.5 hours on-demand video
- 18 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Earn at least $1000 per month on the side using your existing skill set
- Understand the 4 types of buyers on Elance and how they make purchase decisions
- Stop wasting time writing proposals for dud buyers
- Apply the Pareto Principle - how to choose the 20% of projects that will bring in 80% of the income
- Write winning proposals according to the Psychological Triggers that make people say “yes”
- Become the Most Favored Freelancer so that clients intuitively choose you
- Discover the secret weapon that virtually guarantees you won’t hear the words “you’re too expensive” again
- Have an existing Elance account
- Know what kind of work you can do and what skills you have
- Ideally have a complete Elance profile page containing your work history, references, skills and education
This course is not about freelancing.
This course is about marketing.
The best freelancers are NOT those with the best skill set or even the ones with the most education or experience.
Ultimately the best freelancers are those who can market themselves effectively.
Course Updated as of Jan 2016
30+ Excellent Reviews! Join 800+ Highly engaged students!
Get access to private FB group where course students share actual winning proposals!!
"This course is a master class! All of the important factors of marketing and salesmanship that are necessary in all fields, presented for the Elance platform." -Barry Reitman
"Salma is an expert at winning jobs on elance. So many valuable tips in this course. It's great even if you never plan to sell on elance but just want to sell yourself better anywhere else online." -Scott Duffy
"The course gives great insights into the workings of the mind of the buyer and how to align yourself with her needs and feelings." -Thrandur Arnthorsson
If you've ever hit your head against making a healthy recurring income on freelancing sites such as Upwork (formerly called Elance), Freelancer, Guru, etc , then this course is for you! In it you'll learn that freelance success is all about how to market yourself so you leave a positive & memorable impression on the client. You'll also learn how to stay away from horrible clients & work only for the best ones who can pay your full market rates.
We'll go through key areas such as:
- How to find your "Ideal Client" & pitch to them
- The science behind why people say "YES" & how to use that to differentiate your proposals
- How to become the Most Favored Freelancer (MFF) so that clients choose you by instinct
- Practical examples of my own winning proposals with awesome feedback
- How to write proposals based on one of the 4 Proposal Templates
- How to stop hustling after clients & instead make them come to you
- How to always charge your market rate prices & not get bullied by low-balling clients
DOWNLOADS & TEMPLATES:
- 4 Proposal Templates (with sample templates filled out)
- Buyer Persona Development Template & Questionnaire
- Pre-Bidding Checklist to Identify your Ideal Buyers & Projects
- Proposal Writing Checklist
- BUILD A BUYER PERSONA for your Ideal Client
- SHORTLIST 3 PERFECT PROJECTS according to buyer & project checklists
- WRITE A WINNING PROPOSAL & share it with the course community for feedback
START working smarter, not harder by identifying who you really want to work with
START wowing your "Ideal Client" with unique insights into what will make them say yes to you
START charging what you're worth & making at least $2000 per client
START enjoying the freedom and flexibility of freelancing
STOP wasting your time writing bid after bid & getting rejected
STOP feeling bad working with horrible low-paying clients
STOP hustling for clients on a daily/weekly basis
- This course is for you if you’ve been on Elance a while now but you’re just not getting the traction you deserve, if you have in-demand skills, if you’ve submitted a few proposals but have no clients yet, you got some initial clients and then things dried up, you have inconsistent earnings OR you have no or low (less than 25%) repeat customers.
- This course is probably NOT for you if you are confused about how to sign up on Elance, you have never been on Elance and are not a fast learner, you don’t have any marketable skills or experience or education in your chosen field or your skill set is not one of Elance’s categories to get work on. This course will not cover basic administrative and logistics tasks on Elance, like choosing a membership plan, setting up your bank account information, getting paid, filing for dispute, etc. You can get all this info for free from the Elance website or by using their customer support options.
This course will teach you how to write better Elance proposals - proposals that win you clients, jobs and more money. The key to writing winning Elance proposals is to understand how to market yourself on bidding platforms such as Elance, oDesk, Freelancer, and others.
I make over $2000 per Elance client. I also have a 45% repeat client ratio which is instrumental to making more money without constantly having to find clients. I am a trainer for Elance's Mobilizer Program - where I scripted, filmed and edited training videos for Elance Mobilizers across the world. I am also the 2nd place winner to Elance's New Way to Work competition.
How does the Elance system work and how can you use it to bid effectively.
Elance attracts many types of buyers/clients. But you have to be super careful about who you want to work with and why.
All Elance buyers/clients can be categorized into 4 distinct types. Each of these types has their own quirks and pros and cons. It's essential to identify the types of buyers so you can find which type you are ideally suited to work with.
Here are the 10 phrases in a project description that should alert you to a less than ideal Elance client. Stay away from people who use these phrases! In time, you will develop your own buyer radar that will alert you to legit vs. non legit clients.
How you can use basic human consumer psychology to gain an advantage in writing Elance proposals.
Most freelancers believe they have an equal chance at winning a project as the other guy with similar credentials. Learn the surprising secret to why this isn't so!
"People do business with people they trust" Knowing how to establish trust with your future client is imperative to getting started off with a project on a positive note. Learn the simple way to establish trust with your client right from the first message.
You know that as a freelancer you need to stand out. You need to be different in a positive way for clients to choose. You need to be unmissable. Here's a really easy way to differentiate yourself from the competition - and the best part is that requires you to be yourself!
Do you know how many words of your proposal are visible to an Elance buyer? Do you know how crucial those words are? Do you know how easy it is for a buyer to not even read your full proposal? Learn how to start your proposal with a bang so that it will actually get read!
What happens when freelancers hold themselves to a higher standard? What happens when you limit the amount of work you'll take on? What happens when a client perceives you to be super valuable? All good stuff, I promise. View the lecture to see how.
This section of the freelancing course contains examples, templates and guides on how to write the perfect Elance proposal.
This section is all about following up with a buyer after they respond to your winning proposal. What should you say and how should you say it to ensure you nab the project?
Why you shouldn't be too concerned about positive or negative messages at this stage - they are both indicative of the exact same thing, which is.... (view the lecture to find out!)
This section focuses on ensuring your clients keep coming back to you for more work.
Most freelancers assume that to make more money, they need more jobs. However, to really make more money as a freelancer, you need repeat clients. Learn why!