Foundations of IT for Project Managers and Business Analysts
What you'll learn
- Understand the role of IT in a modern enterprise
- Get foundational understanding of software development practices and process
- Learn how networks and the Internet work
- Learn foundations of data management
- Understand key principles of cybersecurity
- Get familiar with the concepts of automation
- Get the knowledge needed to land the first role in IT
- No prerequisites for taking this course, it is designed to be an introduction to IT for people who start their IT careers
If you are reading this, you are probably an aspiring business analyst or project manager and you want to apply the core skills of your profession in the world of IT. This course will give you an overview of what IT is and what are the key components of it. It will introduce the key terms and definitions so that it will be easier for you to navigate the complex world of information technology, develop a better understanding of the domain and to land a first job in this area.
It is designed for people with little or no technical background; those who are intrigued by the world of IT but don’t feel committed enough to enrol in a university degree or similar.
In my career, I’ve met a lot of IT delivery professionals: business analysts, project managers, delivery leads, scrum masters etc. For many of them, IT was not the first job they had. They come from very diverse backgrounds - former bankers, accountants, journalists and even ballet dancers found their passion and career in the thrilling world of information technology. For some people this transition comes easily and naturally, for some harder. I have designed this course with these people in mind: to give an overview of the IT world that will help immerse yourselves into the new environment with its own concepts, terminology, and history. And more importantly get prepared for that job interview or the first day in a new role!
I hope you'll enjoy!
FREE eBook (valued at $20)
In addition to the video course, you will get a FREE copy of my eBook "IT Essentials for Project Managers and Business Analysts". The book will re-introduce the topics from the video course, and add a bit more depth and details to them.
You can use the book as you reference guide or as a substitute for taking notes while watching the videos.
This course aims to give the reader an overview of the key aspects of IT on a level that will allow them to:
understand the work-related conversations
pick up specific lingo
gain the basic knowledge required to start adding value in their role or land the first job
What our students say:
"Crystal clear and so well organized." — Eric
"Igor is obviously professional and I respect his effort to deliver his knowledge to other people in a understandable manner." — Yaroslav
"Igor is an expert in his field and it's a joy to learn from him - he is humble, engaging, clever and thorough, and it reflects in the course." — Philipp
This course will offer:
Detailed overview of key elements of Information technology that are expected of a delivery professional to know.
Description of software engineering processes and stages
Explanation in simple terms of how networks and the Internet work
Overview of how computers store data and exchange information
Key concepts and definitions of cybersecurity
Considerations for a delivery professional when working in an IT environment
Quizzes to check your knowledge
Recommendations for additional reading materials to further deepen your knowledge.
Note: I am an Endorsed Education Provider™ by IIBA®, which means the materials and references to IIBA® and its publications used in this course are licensed for me to do so. By enrolling in this course you support legal use of intellectual property and contribute to the development of business analysis profession.
All the trademarks belong to their rightful owners.
Who this course is for:
- The course is primarily designed for non-technical roles that operate in IT environment, such as business analysts or project managers.
- It is a good introduction to IT if you come from non-IT background but get exposed to IT or want to shift career into IT
- It will be handy for other professionals who need to understand how information technology works, such as HR, managers, auditors, etc.
- The course will help get enough understanding to not get lost on your day one in IT, or to pass a technical part of interview for non-developer positions
Analyst's corner is an Endorsed Education Provider™ by IIBA® - International Institute of Business Analysis.
Igor, the founder and instructor, is a seasoned business analyst and a BA team manager with experience in the fields of e-commerce, content management, customer service, and software development.
His areas of expertise include Business Analysis, Project Management, Business process management, Enterprise Architecture, Quality Management, and Agile.
In addition to being an active practitioner, Igor has been teaching and mentoring business analysts and helped dozens of people get certified or achieve their career goals.
Igor is a frequent speaker at business analysis conferences (such as IIBA Australia Chapter's BA professional day), meetups and other events and is a volunteer facilitator for IIBA study groups.
Igor is an owner and editor-in-chief of Analyst's corner, a medium publication about business analysis and enterprise architecture.
In his professional career, Igor has been leading business analysis and process management teams at cybersecurity, consulting and retail organizations.
- Master's degree in Business process modelling and optimization
- Certified Business Analysis Professional™ (CBAP®) by IIBA®
- Certification in Business Data Analytics (IIBA®- CBDA) by IIBA®
Igor also has a list of qualifications in ISO 9000, ISO 31000, ITIL, Agile and industry specific certificates.