Foundations for Mastering Watercolor Painting
What you'll learn
- Learn watercolor techniques quicker and easier
- Understand what watercolor paint is and how it is unique
- Discern how a paint will perform based on its pigment property
- Gain insight into water's important role in the water media painting process
- Appreciate the importance of surface texture and structure when you paint
- Understand the differences between brush materials
- Problem-solve with success when something goes wrong in the painting process
- Feel freer in developing your own artistic voice
- There are no prerequisites for this course.
NOTE: This is not a hands-on painting course.
“The best watercolour course I have seen…I need a structured better approach than the typical watch-me-paint courses, that explain nothing about quality of paints and mediums and how they affect the final result. Brilliantly narrated, videos quality are amazing and super explanatory. 6 stars!" - Joao C.
“I am learning so much. It is really helping me to understand the medium I am working with, as well as how I can manipulate it to create the effects and emotions I want. Everything just changes when you know what you are looking for. My level of confidence in watercolour has definitely skyrocketed.” - Nicole O.
The instructor of this course is a Signature Member of the National Watercolor Society.
Watercolor painting at its core is built upon pigment, water, and a painting surface, and in order to master the medium you need to thoroughly understand your materials. This course is designed to give you an in-depth look at the properties of each material used in the watercolor painting process. With this understanding, beginners will have an easier time learning techniques and experienced painters will be better equipped to perfect their skill and solve potential problems. This isn’t a hands-on painting class, but rather is a lecture-based course containing information you aren't likely to find anywhere else.
Who this course is for:
- This course applies to both new painters as well as experienced painters. For the new painter, it will make the learning process much easier. For the experienced painter, it will give you a deeper understanding of the medium.
- This is not a watercolor technique class. Instead, this is intended to give viewers a broader, deeper understanding of the medium.
Jill Poyerd, NWS, is a contemporary realist whose award-winning work can be found in private collections both nationally and internationally. She has been featured in national publications, is the author of the portrait painting book Fearless Portraits, and is a signature member of several prestigious art societies, including the National Watercolor Society. Jill works in both watermedia and oil paints and has exhibited extensively throughout the Mid-Atlantic region as well as in national shows. In addition to her work as an artist, Jill is an active member of the arts community. She has curated many multi-medium group shows and is the founder of the Fine Art Professionals of Northern Virginia. Additionally, she produces art appreciation videos for her highly successful YouTube Channel where her videos inspire and inform an international audience of over 3 million viewers.