Finance Fundamentals for Building an Investment Portfolio
What you'll learn
- Basic finance fundamentals for a stable and resilient investment portfolio
- Modern Portfolio Theory and its limitations
- Efficient Frontier and its usage
- Capital Market Line and the use of leverage
- Introduction to Risk Parity Concept
- Introduction to Multi-Strategy Approach
- Simple concepts behind proven quantitative strategies used by hedge funds
- See real world performance of proven quantitative strategies used by hedge funds
- Basic appreciation of risk-return trade-off in investing
- An open mind to learn
This is a finance fundamentals course for all aspiring portfolio managers. It is the foundation course for our entire series of courses. You will learn why a well-constructed diversified portfolio is the best approach to generating consistent returns with the least amount of risk.
Using a chronological approach, we will look at how the process of building an investment portfolio has evolved over the years. From the very beginning when the idea first came about, until the latest innovation in building a modern portfolio. Using only conceptual diagrams, this course should cater to all investors from beginners to experts.
We will also use simple short videos to explain the concepts behind some proven quantitative strategies used by hedge funds. This will provide a good introduction for you to move on to our quantitative strategy courses. We will also look at the real-world performance of these quantitative strategies in the year 2020 which included a once-in-a-century crisis.
Note that the details of the individual strategies are not covered in this course. It is highly recommended that you enroll in at least 2 of the strategy courses, if not all, as they also cover the elementary knowledge behind key investment concepts, financial mathematics, and basic excel skills.
Finally, we also recommend that you enroll in our capstone multi-strategy course after you have completed the individual strategy courses.
After you have finished our entire series of courses, you will be ready to build your very own multi-strategy portfolio!
Who this course is for:
- Beginner investors who are interested in learning the basic finance fundamentals for building a stable and resilient investment portfolio
- Intermediate to advance investors who are interested in knowing how multi-strategy hedge funds can achieve stable consistent returns regardless of market conditions
AllQuant is a private fund management company founded by investment professionals, Eng Guan (E.G.) Lim and Patrick Ling. They have a total of more than 30 years of experience in the financial markets working their way through asset management firms, investment banks, proprietary trading, and hedge funds. In their last role, they were both portfolio managers in a quantitative multi-strategy hedge fund.
As part of their efforts to demystify the quantitative approach to investing, AllQuant is dedicated to providing top-notch education in financial markets and investing, aiming to break down the barriers between professional and retail investing. They look to deliver value-adding courses developed through real experiences that are not just pedagogical but practical as well. The ultimate objective is to empower individuals to take charge of their own investments.
The founders believe that education is one of the best investments and the solution to a better and fairer world.