Forest and Nature Based Early Childhood Education
What you'll learn
- How to create a learning and stimulating environment for children outdoor
- How to be an authentic role model for the child so the teacher can create the right environment outdoor
- Language and motor skills development in nature
- Practical skills to create an outdoor life with children
- The importance of nature and the rhythm of the day, week and year
- How to find and use nature in the city
- Examples on how Science happens naturally in nature
- Help to get you started to be more outdoors with children
- Be able to understand English
This online course is based on a Danish outdoor education program with evidence from Scandinavia and the rest of the world.
Here you can learn about nature´s impact on child development, brain development and all the benefits nature and being outdoors provides.
The course evolves around the importance of nature as a healthy and stimulating environment for children's development. Nature has a unique potential as a platform for children to grow and experiment in. The course emphasises the immanent curiosity of the child and its natural need for movement and how we can optimise the conditions for children's development outdoors. It demonstrates how being outdoors with children, lends itself to creating educational environments, where there is specific focus on language and motor skills development. The possibility of both risky play and sensuous stimulation that nature provides for us, supports the health-promoting pedagogical foundation that is necessary for the healthy development of the child.
Furthermore this online education is a practical source of inspiration for school programs, teachers and families. Get more aware of nature. Be inspired to create your own nature-based environment. And learn how to bring nature to the child, if you live in the city.
We will go through 8 modules covering everything you need to know!
Who this course is for:
- Teachers curious about outdoor and forest education
- Anyone curious about children's development outdoor in nature and all the benefits
Rikke Rosengren is a Danish Waldorf kindergarten educator. More than 20 years ago, Rikke founded Børneøen Bonsai, a forest Waldorf kindergarten and nursery, which she is managing to this day. Børneøen Bonsai is located next to a forest and to the sea in the north of Copenhagen. Being passionate about sharing her knowledge on early childhood and nature education, Rikke established an educational institute, called Bonsai Institute as well as Blue Pearl Books in 2019, where educational books are being published. In addition, Rikke has taught in the field of early childhood and nature education for many years at both national and international level and has published several books on these subjects. “Child of nature” is her latest book.