Building a Card Game in Flutter & Dart
What you'll learn
- Learn intermediate skills and practices in building apps with Flutter
- Interface with an external API
- Handle UI state with Provider and Consumers
- Gain practice in working with class inheritance
- Write AI logic for bot players
- A very basic understanding of Dart & Flutter is recommended. This isn't an intro to Flutter course and we'll be digging right into it!
- Although the development was done on a mac, there should be no issues following along on Windows or Linux if that's your prefered environment.
This course will give you a lot of foundational knowledge that is applicable to virtually any type of application, with a playful twist!
We will be solving common problems that come with building real-world applications including working with an external API using http and UI state management using the Provider package.
We'll also have some fun coding some AI for our bot players and making use of inheritance in order to support different games that run off of the same core engine. The principals and patterns followed in this course are applicable to other apps you may want to build – certainly not just games.
Interfacing with an API
State Management with Provider
VS Code refactoring & tips
AI bot coding
The final code is available on Github so if you get stuck, you'll be able to catch up There are a lot of tips and tricks that are sprinkled throughout which will help you become a better developer as you learn about them and build the habits. Once completed, you will be able to build more types of card games on top of the framework we create so let your imagination run wild and have fun taking your programming skills to the next level.
I hope you enjoy taking this course as much as I enjoyed putting it together.
Who this course is for:
- Developers who have a basic understanding of Flutter who are looking to build real world applications.
As Co-Founder and Chief Technology Officer of The Young Astronauts, a creative collective dedicated to the exploration and innovation of the multimedia universe, I oversee all company and technical operations— from internal communications strategies to future development opportunities and new business endeavors.
I have an extensive background in writing code and shipping applications. 100% self-taught, I've had the opportunities to work with start-ups, brands, and corporate organizations while helping them engage with their audience through technology.