Intro to design and composition for watercolour illustration
What you'll learn
- Brainstorming and refining icons.
- Flatlay composition for balance and interest.
- Creating an on-trend colour scheme that is still unique to your style and aesthetic.
- Painting - Working in layers and then fitting the pieces of the puzzle.
- Pencil & eraser
- Plenty of plain printer/copy paper
- To colour your illustration, use whatever you have available. I'll be working with watercolours, but you can use pencils, inks, copic markers, textas or digital tools like procreate.
- I use a combination of tube, pan, and liquid watercolours, canson watercolour paper, round brushes; size 0, 1 & 6.
Get inspired by your favourite holiday memories or daydream about the next adventure.
Where do you dream of going? What will you bring? OR What holiday do you want to commemorate?
Surfing in Morocco... Art retreat in Tuscany... Food and cooking tour of Vietnam... Photography expedition through India... Hiking in Yosemite National Park... we are going to let our art take us there!
Flatlays are a great exercise in composition and balance. We will cover the main concepts of good design and apply them to the course project. These include colour, contrast, rhythm, repetition, and negative space.
Illustrating a range of related icons is a great addition to your portfolio.
The course project can be framed or used as a greeting card, or even be included in a holiday photo album.
This course is a concise and jam-packed 40 minutes that you'll want to rewatch as you work through your own composition. You will learn:
Selecting colour to convey mood
A number of strategies that you can use to develop your colour schemes.
How to brainstorm and refine selected icons.
Flatlay composition for balance and interest.
Creating an on-trend colour scheme that is still unique to your style and aesthetic.
Painting - Working in layers and then fitting the pieces of the puzzle.
Some project ideas to get you started:
Who this course is for:
- Intermediate painters wanting to improve their art composition
Artist and surfer girl...
Hi! I'm Hannah, an illustrator based in Perth, Western Australia. Primarily I work in watercolour and gouache. I sell my artwork, work with design clients, wholesalers and students in my one-woman business, 'Mermaid's Coin Art & Illustration.
I live in sunny Western Australia and love to surf! I'm a trained teacher and started teaching in-person watercolour and printmaking workshops a couple of years ago. I now try to balance my creative business with the business of raising two small humans, working part-time, herding cats, and getting into the waves when the swell is up.