How to Install a Free SSL Certificate using Let's Encrypt
What you'll learn
- Distinguish between different types of SSL Certificates
- Create and Configure a basic droplet on Digital Ocean
- Install a Free Let's Encrypt SSL Certificate
- Fix the Google "Not Secure" Warning on any website that contains input forms.
- Install LAMP Stack on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
- Configure Name Servers
- Configure DNS Settings on Digital Ocean
- Check the status of a SSL Certificate
- Automatically renew a SSL Certificate periodically using cron tab, and setting up cron jobs.
- Students will require an internet connection and PC or MAC Computer System.
- Terminal for MAC or PuTTY for Windows
In the modern internet age, delivering web content over a secure protocol has become essential.
Since January 2017, Google attaches a warning label to any website that does not secure sensitive web page content by delivering it using HTTPS. This includes web pages that contain forms asking for usernames, passwords, credit cards and other sensitive information.
In the near future Google plans to roll out a requirement for all web pages to be secured. Warning labels will become progressively more aggressive, and eventually highlighted in red, bold colors on the address bar.
It is easy to see the consequences of not complying with this new requirement. You invest time, money and energy to drive traffic to your website. Your users expect a secure browsing experience and will likely be deterred from using your page when they see such warning labels attached.
There is a common misconception that securing a webpage over HTTPS requires expert server knowledge and is a costly and cumbersome process.
The purpose of this course is designed to teach you everything you need to know about HTTPS and SSL certificates. We start with the basics. Exploring the theory and definitions that will be useful in developing your understanding.
From there, we dive into configuring a server on Digital Ocean and installing a free SSL certificate known as Let's Encrypt. We also explore setting up Cron Jobs on an Ubuntu server, to automatically renew your certificate periodically.
After completing this course, you will easily be able to secure any web page using HTTPS and free SSL certificates.
Who this course is for:
- No prerequisite knowledge required
- Web developers looking to secure their websites using SSL
- Students interested in learning about certificate authorities
- Students interested in SSL Certificate Types for maximum security and credibility
- Web developers who want to avoid costly fees and install a free, secure SSL Certificate using Let's Ecnrypt
- Students interested in learning the basics of SSL Encryption
- Web developers who want to direct all domain variations to HTTPS, instead of HTTP
- Web developers who want to learn how to easily resolve the "Google Not Secure" warning label.
YouAccel was founded in 2015 with the mission to be one of the most interactive e-learning platforms on the web. YouAccel is now a leading provider in online training, serving a global audience of over 2 million passionate learners. This includes 6+ Million enrollments, across 50 best-selling courses. YouAccel offers courses across numerous industries from Programming & IT to Business, Marketing, Design, and Productivity.
The e-learning experience provided by YouAccel is Dynamic. Each course is streamed in High Definition with corresponding assignments, quizzes, and exams that are delivered and graded electronically. All YouAccel courses are taught by certified educators that have numerous years of work experience in the field for which they provide instruction. The courses can be taken at one's own pace and are offered at several levels including beginner, intermediate and advanced. Taking the experience to a new personalized level, free support is available to all students who register for a course. All courses come with a certificate of completion and no age restrictions apply.
YouAccel strongly believes that the future of online learning will be through open community-based initiatives, where everyone’s voice is equally heard. This is exactly what YouAccel strives to achieve – an inclusive environment, where students have control over the direction of course content. YouAccel courses are continuously updated based on feedback from students and engaged community members. YouAccel instructors encourage communication at every step of the learning process. To date, hundreds of contributors around the globe have invested both time and resources, to ensure YouAccel courses meet the highest level of quality. YouAccel instructors are world renowned and many of them have been featured in mainstream publications such as Forbes, Mashable, Entrepreneur, and PBS among others.